Sunday 2 February 2020

Sunday Dinner

Warning. Bunny on the menu.

Another warm halcyon day.  We sat out on the balcony and shared 
our Sunday lunch with friends.  There was the shadow of a half moon hanging in the sky above us so it must be almost time for another full moon.  

  We are waiting for another cold blast at the end of this week.  Meantime we are making the most of the sunshine.



Our big clay cooking pot.  


The accompanying dishes were so many we hardly tasted the  rabbit.  There was loads of garlic on the menu.  We had beetroot with bread and garlic sauce, tzatziki (yoghurt and garlic), and garlic bread.  Any prowling vampires will be kept at bay for a few days.






Everyone agreed, except me, that the rabbit was tender and tasty but everyone, except me, ate little of the main dish.  By the time it arrived on the table we were full of garlic bread, tzatziki, some spicy sausage and greek salad.  I was too full to even try the rabbit.  Tomorrow we'll do it all over again with just the rabbit on the table.

Sunday or Monday, it doesn't make much difference when you're retired.  Our friends and neighbours are pruning olive trees and will be happy to stop at 3 for a late lunch on our balcony.  K will be up there fixing their oven and washing machine.  I'll keep the home fires burning, set the table and warm up the stew.  Rabbit with tomatoes and whole onions.  I'll take a better photo tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. That looks glorious. I am so very envious. Please send me the leftover rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run..

    I bet it's delicious. One pot cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh deary me, I was just commenting how the rabbits are reappearing so early. Yours should have stayed in their burrow a little longer.
    Dinner sounds delicious, I would pass on the rabbit :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, without the rabbit. I suppose I'll eat some tomorrow though. Just meat

      Delete
  4. I used to really like rabbit, we used to cook it with summer savory (the herb) and add raspberries to the sauce at the end (the same recipe could be used with squirrel). do you let the rabbit sit in olive oil before you cook it?

    I no longer eat meat, my digestion cant take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K marinated it in vinegar and olive oil. Seems to be the done thing around here. Raspberries are definitely not the done thing....

      Delete
  5. We never had it our house but The Golfer tells me his family referred to it as 'underground chicken'
    Was yours farmed or wild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rabbit was farmed by our neighbour. Had a very good life .
      Very similar to chicken.

      Delete
  6. I've never had rabbit....but when hungry enough I'm sure I'd eat it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious. When we moved to our property in the Far North (just north of Awanui) there were no rabbits then a couple arrived and before you could say scarper there were hundreds so rabbit was often on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Rabbit; my wife doesn't. No Rabbits here, only Hares. The dogs used to catch one occasionally, and they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw a hare on the road one night. It sat on the side of the road for a few seconds before loping off. Lovely to see it like that.
      This is definitely rabbit, straight from Vasos freezer. Very tender, I'll taste it today

      Delete
  9. You have a wonderful life there on the island. I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had friends who had a rabbit farm. But Austrians, especially this younger generation, just don’t eat it. So they closed down
    I did cook some I’m my slow cooker. It was nice. My aunt used to breed rabbit to eat. She would coat it in breadcrumbs and fry it. Telling us all that it was Kentucky fried chicken when we were kids lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kentucky fried bunny. Lol
      We used to tell the grandkids it was chicken. They all eat it now

      Delete