Monday 3 February 2020

Another Day

Lemon curd, or lemon honey as it was known when I was growing up in New Zealand.  Also known as lemon cheese.  Utterly wicked, not as in evil but as in awesome.  A delicious way to use up some of our lemons.



Lemon curd
I used up 4 lemons making this and one went into the lettuce salad so that is 5 lemons used so far today.  Only another 395 to go, more or less.  Tomorrow we start juicing them

I love lemon honey, sweet and tangy, the perfect accompaniment to any cake or pie, or biscuit or just a sly spoonful gulped down when no-one is looking.  Mine didn't thicken today.  I can only think that the recipe I used did not give me the right balance of eggs and lemon juice.  I ended up after half an hour of stirring by adding cornflour.  No change in the taste and nice and gluey instead of runny.  



Planting our olive tree
Vangelis has hundreds of olive trees of his own.  He dug the hole and watered the tree.  Now he's going to bring some special fertiliser to help its roots.  All the olive tree needs is a watering every two weeks.  I shall make a note on the calendar.  He says we will have olives on the tree maybe in 3 or 4 years




The boys in the back garden, knee deep in clover




Rabbit and onions for lunch


16 comments:

  1. Lemon curd. So tasty but is it good for the waistline? Who cares!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to make it because it's such a temptation but it was a good way of using up some lemons. I'll make some more, everyone likes it naturally and give away 99.9percent

      Delete
  2. This year there were so many olives on the tree at the door of my house, I still have to clean the entrance every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make a big black mess. Our road is full of squashed olives

      Delete
  3. The start of your very own olive grown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can 'grove' turn into 'grown'. Bloody computer!

      Delete
    2. No no no. One olive tree is fine thank you. I'm not picking olives, except by the handful!

      Delete
  4. Lemon curd! Mmmmmm... Have only had it, in a jar. It was lovely though...

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clover in Feb.! How different our area are!!!

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I love lemon honey, that's what we call it here too, I use to regularly make it for my mum's mother when she was alive, it's such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it as lemon honey but had to Google to find the word. I think the Edmonds cookbook has a recipe

      Delete
  7. I wish I could eat Lemon Curd, but it has far too much sugar for me. I like the idea of putting whole onions into your Rabbit stew.... I have loads so I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another of those darn sugary delights. Best not to have it in the house!!

      Delete
  8. I grew up in the middle of 30 acres of lemons and oranges, but never ate orange marmalade or lemon curd. I discovered lemon curd after leaving home, and began to use my father's lemons to make jars of curd for gifts -- and of course, to eat myself. The most heavenly food!

    Just the past weekend I bought a "homemade lemon bar" cookie at intermission at the symphony, and can still taste how wonderful it was. I wondered why I don't bake these anymore? Your post reminded me that I can do the much easier and more direct thing: stir up a batch of curd, save time, and eat spoonfuls of the stuff in its simple essence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen quite a few recipes using curd but really prefer it in its pure form...on a teaspoon. Our greek neighbours are it for the first time yesterday and loved it. Irresistable

      Delete