Tuesday 25 February 2020

All Souls Saturday


All Souls Saturday, a week before Lent.
We had a memorial service to attend so we went to church
K got there at 8, I arrived at 9.15.  The priest started at 7.  I knew it was too early but I thought I might get some flak if I arrived any later.  You can wander in and out of these services at any time though if it is a close family memorial then you're probably there by 8 and sitting up front.  The church in the graveyard is quite small so not many can squeeze inside.  There was a bitter wind blowing and those outside were chilled, standing around in little groups or sitting on one of the big marble graves.  I stood out there for an hour before it was over.  But there were friends and relatives around and we had a chat and a laugh


A table set up outside has the paper bags lined to to fill with funeral wheat which is handed out as you leave



Lucky her father didn't see her!!
Lucky he didnt see me either.  He doesnt like me taking photos at church but now with these smart phones I can take pictures without him knowing.
The guy in the doorway is an old friend of the girls.  He's showing how you try and look pious!
Having a 'silent' laugh and a quiet gossip passes the time.

I never know what to do in church, just stand up and sit down as others do, though some don't which makes it a bit of a puzzle.  I look down at the floor when the priest comes out and covers us in incense and just try to look pious when everyone else is crossing themselves and I'm not.





I did pop into the church to get warmed up at some point and tried to take some photos inside but there were too many bodies in the way.  The table here was full of bowls of 'koliva' (the funeral wheat), each with a lit candle in it.  Anyone who wants to remember their dear departed can make a bowl and take it to church to be blessed.  

There were 4 chanters up the front who accompanied our priest.  One of the chanters has the service on his phone and we all watch him flicking through his phone. Show off.  The others are chanting from the traditional  church tomes sitting on stands in front of them.


There were 4 memorial services
This was the decorated tray of wheat from one of them

On All Souls Saturday the names of ALL the departed who have been remembered during the year are read out.  The priest has gathered all the names, on a stack of little bits of paper, and reads them all out.  He drones on and on for about 15 minutes.  


This is the funeral wheat called koliva.
It is a mix of boiled wheat, raisins, parsley, coconut, powdered sugar, pomegranite seeds and ours had chopped figs as well.


Inside the big bag with the cross is a small white paper bag with the koliva, a plastic spoon and napkin and a sweet roll.  


After the church we go to the cafe nearby for coffee, a liqueur (or two) and some sweet cookies.  We drink and try not to be too merry after the liqueur and then file past the family, shake hands and wish that their loved one will remembered with love


This guy came home with us for the family meal after the memorial.  He made us laugh more than ever.  Who is he?
The Undertaker!
He buries the dead and entertains the living.  A real people person








18 comments:

  1. Thankfully, we don't go to church anymore!

    >;-)

    😊 😊 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's complicated here being in a foreign language and an antiquated version of it. All I understand is God have mercy and Amen
      I wouldn't mind so much if there was a seat for everyone

      Delete
  2. Crikey. We just have a reading at the crematorium then back for a nosh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were talking about crematoriums as we were standing outside. The church here calls thems devils work and there's only one up north. The younger generation seem to agree it's an easier way to go

      Delete
  3. As I get older, I'm a little jealous of those who have kept old traditions and family cohesion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These traditions do keep the younger generation together as the older ones die. This memorial was for the patriarch of my son in laws family.
      Now we are having regular family gatherings after these memorials and we are all enjoying them. May he be resting in peace

      Delete
  4. It must be difficult for the ordinary citizen to remember all these different rituals and traditions, there are so many of them that you have to observe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are difficult in the beginning but after 40 years believe me I know it all off by heart! Except what's actually going on in church lol

      Delete
  5. I do attend funerals in my village, but I never go inside the church; I go to be seen and show my respects. The last time I was inside our church was for a wedding, and the priest kept stopping the service so that young mothers with crying babies could take them outside for a while. It was all very friendly and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our priest does the same if babies get too loud. We also get told off for talking too loudly.
      It is far more relaxed.

      Delete
  6. That all sounds very complicated, even if relaxed. The wheat is interesting but the addition of parsley seems a bit unusual in that mix, is it symbolic?
    I attend the church services, offer condolences, but disappear before the drinking and eating bit afterwards.

    (For myself, I wish a private cremation, no fuss. I hate crocodile tears and falseness, I have witnessed too many of those, with the drama queens sobbing and getting sympathy while the truly bereaved try to hold themselves together.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsley..I've often wondered about it myself . My s in law couldn't enlighten me. I noticed this wheat didn't have any parsley. The addition of dried fruits GS was really good. There's no particular recipe. Probably every area is different.
      There used to be weeping and gnashing of teeth but the priests have put a stop to that. Funerals for younger people I have noticed recently is deadly quiet except for a wail or two from a friend. Quite chilling.
      I've told my kids at least to make sure it's a closed casket. Open is usual here and can be horrifying.

      Delete
  7. A good read. Thanks Linda. I like a bit of ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The undertaker sounds a real character. Any funeral anecdotes for future blog posts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m not great with remembering what to do when. So I follow the crowd.
    I’m stuffed when I become part of the oldies and the younger ones look to me. Lol I don’t like the koliver either so I get stink eye when I politely decline. Oh well. Such is life lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. So what's the story with the funeral wheat? It's gotten me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I attended last Saturday, but it will likely be the only one I go to (I think this Sat is the last one). I enjoyed the koiva, it was very tasty! But I forgot to put it in the fridge, so had to throw the rest out :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't last long and every batch is different. This koliva was really good. Made by the mother of the funeral director

      Delete