Saturday 1 February 2020

Oranges and Lemons

It's citrus time.  We have a house full of lemons and oranges and mandarines.  



There are bowls of 'em on the tables and bags  waiting to be picked up, and taken away.


Our daughter gave us a huge bag of lemons and now our neighbour brought us this case of lemons.  Ever heard of the law of attraction?  This is it in action.

I took a photo of these, turned out the light and tripped over the damn crate.  I gave it really good kick.  My toes are still smarting.


Lemons here, lemons there, lemons everywhere


The last of the mandarines.  These were huge
I prefer mandarines to eat.  They peel easily and the slices separate easily.  


Another pile on the bench.  These are sanguini oranges, with blood red flesh

Also called blood oranges

They're all separated, different varieties in different places.  Some of the oranges are big and juicy, very good eating,  Others are only for juice.  Some are sweet, some are just a little sour.  

And then there is a tree full of grapefruit just outside the kitchen door.

No nasty flu bugs around here.  We are vitamin-c-ed up to the eyeballs.  

24 comments:

  1. Wow what a haul. Could you juice them and make cordial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to juice most of the lemons. I'll make ice cubes and put bottles of juice in the freezer to make lemonade in the summer

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. I am drooling already. I need some of that vitamin C as I now gave a rotten cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does my tablet always change have to gave????

      Delete
    2. Those word changers drive me mad. I usually see it just as I've pressed publish.
      Wish I could give you a huge bag of lemons and oranges.

      Delete
  3. Say the bells of Saint Clements.

    I am Citrus envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn that was going to be my title. I forgot the st Clements!

      Delete
  4. I have a very young lemon tree in the garden, meanwhile I buy lemons, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 2 lemon trees so we have our own lemons as well. Our cuisines call for lemon juice everywhere

      Delete
  5. Yummy. Lots of fresh juice
    And fresh fruit to eat.
    Do you make marmalade?
    How do you preserve all that harvest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem, using them before they rot. I'll be freezing juice, bottles of it , for summer lemonade. Suppose I'll have to make some marmalade. Trouble is everyone has loads of lemons at the moment so it's a bit hard to give them away .
      Squeeze and more squeeze

      Delete
  6. -grin- Good for you! For the being Vit
    C'ed!

    Not so good, for tripping on the crate. *&$^)&^$%^&*((

    They are good for you. And they are quite beautiful too.

    🌟 🌟 🌟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One lot are really good eating but I'll have to start squeezing too

      Delete
  7. Lovely harvest but a lot of work to process them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I remember one year they gave us a wheelbarrow full. I'll be juicing for a month and the freezer will be full

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a haul! My dad loved blood oranges. What will you make. I love marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to make marmelade and you've given me an idea. I'll make it with the blood oranges. The colour will be mighty

      Delete
  9. What do you do with all those Lamons? I know when I buy a few, they soon go off. I should add that I'm a big consumer of Lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do rot unfortunately so I'll need to get to work. Most of them will be juiced and I'll put bottles in the freezer. In the summer I can give make lemonade and give that away.

      Delete
  10. Makes me think of Chris Stewart's book, Driving Over Lemons!

    ReplyDelete