Sunday 31 December 2023

Saint Basil's On the Way

January 1st is Saint Basil's Day.  He was known for caring for the poor and bringing gifts to underprivileged children. He thus became the Greek Santa Claus. 

He'll be bringing presents to Greek boys and girls tomorrow, although most have already opened their presents. They rip them open the moment their godmother, aunt or fond Mama brings them through the door.

I doubt he will come by sleigh pulled by reindeer and slip down the chimney. Somehow I think that is a Western myth.


The New Years bread is made. The loaf has a euro coin hidden in it. It will be cut up for New Years lunch. Whoever finds the coin will have a lucky year. So tradition says.

We actually watched the countdown to New Year in NZ on the 1 o'clock news. That was the days excitement.

Now we are waiting for New Year to ring in here in Greece. Will I be awake at midnight? Depends on what television has to offer.  Last year I think I went to bed at 10.


- Some 'jokes' from the Christmas crackers. Only they weren't jokes and they weren't written in Greek. On one side of the slip of paper it was English and the other side looked like Chinese. Probably was.

The crackers did contain the expected paper hat and small plastic toy both of which were discarded immediately.  It was all about the big bang when we pulled them, holding them around the table.

- How many animals have stars on Hollywood Boulevard?

2  - Lassie and RinTinTin

-  What smell is most recognized by North American adults?

Coffee

.........................................

Wishing you all a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2024.

Peace Over All


25 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR...!....❣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year. Wishing you a prosperous 2024!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Happy New Year Dave. Health and happiness to you and the family

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you too!
    (I shall be asleep when it arrives)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you JC and P. Health and happiness to you both

      Delete
  4. May you and your family have a happy and wonderful new year Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yael. I hope you are able to be with your family and enjoy time together.

      Delete
  5. Happy new year may it a blessed one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A very happy 2024 to you and all your family

      Delete
  6. Happy St Basil Day! And of course, Happy New Years. May 2024 be blessed for us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Wishing you a very happy and healthy 2024. Good luck with the baking

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year. I haven't seen the Auckland fireworks yet (I expect they will be on tonight's News) but when I phoned a friend in London first thing this morning she said she had seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ and Kiribati always get mentioned here. The earliest change of the year. All the best for 2024

      Delete
  8. LOL you did better than me! I was sound asleep when the clock reached midnight here - although the fireworks next door did wake me up. I hope 2024 brings you much happiness. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to bed at 10 but woke up just before midnight. In time to send greetings to the local family. All the best for 2024

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year. I saw a little of the Auckland fireworks this morning, last night I didn't make midnight despite the doof doof music next door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was somewhere where I could see fireworks I might try and stay up but it was very quiet up here in the hills.
      Wishing you a very happy 2024

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting my blog, good to have a quiet evening.

      Delete
    3. I just love seeing all your quilts. Absolutely amazing

      Delete
  10. Chronia polla. We wish you a good year and many more, good health, good good (and wine), friendship and the love of family, a good harvest and lots to blog about. Best wishes F and Mr B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! I lasted until 11:30 this year but came half-awake when all the fireworks went off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes coffee! My daily treat with sugar free whipped cream on top that the cats always want a bit of. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and Happy new Year to you.

    ReplyDelete