Thursday 14 December 2023

Octopus

 A traditional Greek fisherman.  My grandson and his giant octopus


On the way home from school he skirts along the shoreline peering into the shallows.  This isn't the first time he's spotted and caught an octopus.
This one's a biggy , about 4 kilos.

You need sharp eyes to spot an octopus in the water.  They're extremely good at camouflage.  Jamie's an expert.  It's not the first time he's speared an octopus.

A few nights ago he went spear fishing, from shore, with a friend and a high powered torch.  They caught cuttlefish, cousin of a kalamari (squid).

Following in the footsteps of his father and both his grandfathers. All avid amateur fishermen.





5 pointed 'trident'  used by fishermen here for spear fishing. These sharp spikes are attached to a 2 metre pole. He throws the spear, holding on to an attached rope and reels the beast in.

No, he doesn't go to school with a Trident hidden in his bag.  His father has one on his boat nearby.





Prepared octopus in Australia.  Photo sent by my brother in Perth.

Luckily he didn't (I hope) fork out 95 dollars for some of this octopus.  He doesn't have to because he will be here next year and K is already filling the freezer with octopus ready for his visit.  






16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing it is when your grandson comes home with an octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried but just can't make myself like eating octopus or squid. Well done to your fisherman grandson. The boy did good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boy did good at fishing. If he doesn't knuckle down at school he can always become a fisherman.

      Delete
  3. That's a decent sized octopus, I've seen mostly the orange ones here but dont know what they taste like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about orange octopii. This one is the norm here. Well, not quite so big though

      Delete
  4. Well done. I’d never be able to spot it with my eyes. Let along spear it. And then carry it. It’s huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never see them in the water either, even when K points them out. And yes, you need a bit of strength to pull that in

      Delete
  5. I tried kalamari for the first time this past summer. It was fine (breaded, fried). I've never tried octopus but I recall you writing about hanging it out on a line, over a fence, something like that, and that's all I can picture now! You probably make it taste wonderful with garlic, lemon, and olive oil (?? did I get close?). -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo Jenn!! You passed with flying colours. Onto the next class for you...... Offal?
      Olive oil, oregano, garlic and lemon juice even make an old shoe taste good lol

      Delete
  6. I´m afraid that after watching "My Octopus Teacher" I can´t eat them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. Octopii are intelligent. But also tasty to many

      Delete
  7. I recently ate a jar of Octopus that was preserved in a garlicky oil. It was delicious, and I shall buy more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds good. Like Greek island octopus in a jar

      Delete
  8. What a fine grandson you have. I love that photograph and, of course, the story of the octopus and how he has the knack of spotting them. He sounds well and truly Greek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves fishing and cooking . Hates school. He will find his way I'm sure. He's lucky to be growing up on a Greek island.

      Delete