Friday 29 December 2023

Chatter

 - Today was 'pay the monthly bills day'. All online nowadays. It sure is easier than standing for an hour in the bank.  Usually it's  a smooth procedure but often there are hiccups. Mostly our fault but the computer and the internet connection are also problematic.

Our phone bill has suddenly increased by 30 euros for no apparent reason. K phoned to politely demand the reason why.  Seems we have been receiving messages from 5 digit numbers which we have to pay for, all unnoticed  by us. One of those messages was from overseas and cost us almost all of that 30 euros. WT hell. 

We haven't been warned of these at all. No messages from the phone company. No reports on tv.

We have now blocked all messages from 5 digit senders.

- I'm finished with Christmas. If I could I would hide it away in boxes till next year. I have been quietly removing little extras. Remaining are our boats with lights, the Christmas tree and strings of lights along the fence. Someone else is in charge of lights.

- All my downunder family are in NZ this Christmas. Thank goodness for Whatsap, photos and instant communication .

I got a phone call from them at Christmas and met all the younger generation via the video phone, exchanged greetings with nieces and nephews, talked of this  and that with my brother . Modern communication is amazing. When I first came to Greece I had to go to the telephone company to make an overseas call. I stood in line waiting for a free booth and many was the time I woke my parents at 4am because I had no idea of the time difference .

Now I have the current time for Auckland, Perth and London just by clicking onto the google clock. And phone calls are free no matter how long I talk. Once upon a time I would watch the seconds tick by and hear the drachma mounting up. 

Photos of families, eating, drinking and playing back in the colonies are giving me much joy.

- K has a new toy. A treadmill. We had one for many years. He bought it after his heart attack and for a few months walked enthusiastically every day, noting his kilometres and his heart rate. Then the novelty wore off. As it does. I walked on it on and off over the ensuing years till it finally expired a year or so ago.  A friend of his, another heart attack survivor, was getting rid of his treadmill. Or the wife was. Treadmills take up too much space in these small Greek houses.  Now it is taking up space in our house. He has used it twice.

I continue walking outside. Hey ho.

- I got some very nice presents this Christmas. My Secret Santa gave me a bottle of 0% alcohol gin. Many would say, why drink gin, or wine, or anything alcoholic if there's no alcohol involved ? Well, since I've lost a lot of weight I've had to virtually stop drinking. One glass of wine and I'm tottering even more than normal. 

The gin tastes exactly the same to me. All the taste without the totter. 

I received a bottle of Prosecco rosé too. That is not alcohol free. I shall wait to share it with a daughter or a friend. Or better still, with both. Good wine and good company we all know makes for memorable moments.

I also received packets of seeds. One of the packets is for all year round lettuce. I see in England it is recommended to plant from March to August, their summer. I shall start them in February I think and plant before the 'big heat' here.

 Another present was a purple cauliflower which is being turned into cauliflower-cheese soup.


Elli was told, when buying the cauliflower that if you put lemon juice on it the purple would turn red.
I sacrificed a corner of my cauliflower.
She was right.
The corner turned pink. No doubt if I had squeezed more lemon it would have turned to a darker red.
Greeks love oil and lemon juice on their vegetables. I prefer plain salt and pepper. 




18 comments:

  1. Christmas is finished here too, not that it ever got started as we went away to avoid it!
    I can help you with that Prosecco if you like....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we need two bottles!! Never mind a bit of a totter hic

      Delete
  2. We got rid of our landline ages ago and WhatsApp is great especially if I go to Blighty to a rock festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should get rid of our landline. We never use the darn thing and it hardly ever rings. Waste of more money

      Delete
  3. From my experience, the treadmill ends up becoming a clothes rack in our small rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's is exactly what happened to our last one. It's early days. In a couple of weeks it will be sure to have clothes hanging off it.
      Unless you have a special gym room and a big house that's what's going to happen. You're right Yael

      Delete
  4. We still have a landline, mostly for my family in England, and of course when our cell phone provider has no service, at least we have the landline.
    I've started putting some of the excess decorations away today, but left the majority of it in place until New Year. Out of habit I guess, when I once left the decorations up until the 6th day of January, and wouldn't think of removing earlier.
    My treadmill turned into a clothes horse :)
    The Christmas drinkies sound perfect, pray tell how you lost weight, I'm desperate.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing weight, an awful lot, has taken me 3 years. I started with intermittent fasting then a year of being plant based. Weight came off with both. The last 16 months I've been animal based. Lost another lot of kilos. All diets work if you follow them.
      One day I'll write all about it. A few more kilos to go

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I'm starting the intermittent fasting tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. I lost 12 kilos in that year I did intermittent fasting. Without giving up a lot. 1 kilo month. If you're patient, it adds up.
      Others lose a lot more

      Delete
  5. I think I’m going to start slowing taking down the Christmas stuff. I’ll time it to finish on the 6th like a good little Greek girl lol
    Modern technology is fantastic when it works.
    When it doesn’t it’s so annoying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeks still have a few more celebrations before it's over. Our festive season ends on the 7th with St John. Ag Yiannis.
      You have so much to store away. A house full of Xmas magic

      Delete
  6. That long distance call memory triggered a few here. Counting coins into a pay phones, and those call booths at seafarer centres in ports around the Baltic. Travelling pre mobile phone days...perhaps the saddest was something we eavesdropped on (having no choice). VHF radio on our yacht crackled and gave forth an entire conversation between seafarer on a nearby ship and his family when the ship's radio and his family home phone were somehow patched together to allow him to get news of a bereavement. No one has to have their personal moments shared likme that any more. Enjoy your gin. We acquired a blush pink rhubarb and ginger gin... we love rhubarb and ginger... the gin could have doubled as paintstripper 🙄😟

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love modern technology too. We have a family Whatsapp group and it gets used most days so we can all stay in touch with each other. It's great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WhatsApp groups are wonderful. Thank goodness we have you down under people who are way ahead of us as far as technology and social media are concerned. We are steered in the right direction by family..

      Delete
  8. I always have a Cauli in the house. They go in soup, and for Cauliflower Cheese. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cauliflower cheese and usually make that but this soup sounds delicious, and easy.
    I'll let you all know

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cauli flower cheese is a favourite here, also cheese sauce with any vegetables in it, with grated cheese on top and grilled! Yum!! Talking to people at home is so easy now isn't it, I remember back in the 70's phoning NZ collect ( I was broke) and my Mum spending all the talking time telling me how expensive this was.

    ReplyDelete