Wednesday 20 December 2023

Greek Xmas Sweets



There they are. Traditional Greek Christmas biscuits made by a traditional Greek.

Kourabiethes -
The white ones are almond biscuits made with lots of fresh butter and almonds.  They are sprayed with rose water and covered in icing sugar. The whole house smells of these fragrant sweets. 

The others are melomakarouna, honey biscuits. They are made with fresh olive oil and flavoured with orange zest, cloves and cinnamon. After cooking they are soaked in a honey syrup and covered in crushed walnuts.  The honey is from local hives.

Most of these will be given away. A small plate  will go to friends, neighbours and family. 
They in return will give us a small plate with  sweets they have made.
That's a lot of sweet biscuits to eat .

K has one with his morning coffee. I still haven't tasted them. I'll see how long I can abstain.


 


15 comments:

  1. Yum! I think I would definitely try one or two lol or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most years I eat far too many. So far so good this year. There's far too much sugar in both of these

      Delete
  2. They look and sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good. And the smell is very enticing

      Delete
  3. melomakarouna Are my absolutely favourites
    No way could I resist.
    Which is why I don’t make them. I’d eat the lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I used to do. Keep them away from me lol

      Delete
  4. You have the willpower of a saint ( does that even make sense??). - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saints are not gluttons so I guess, yes. I haven't eaten sweet stuff for ages and now they upset my stomach. However..... I will have a wee taste sometime

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. They are even better because someone else made them 😂

      Delete
  6. In France we had 'Galette des Rois', which were large frangipane tarts, with a small image inside. Whoever found the image had a wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something similar at New Years but not any frangipane.

      Delete
  7. I love kourabiethes, but I am not a fan or that last step….powdered sugar dusting drives me nuts. We make them for our festival, and we always sell out! I’ve never baked melomakarouna, but I love the flavors ~ yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melomakarouna are much easier to make. Darn good to eat too

      Delete