Monday 18 December 2023

A Walk on the Wild Side

 Lucky I have my jolly-holly trekking sticks with me when I go out a-walking.


I frequently meet this bunch of rascals. They run free but usually don't stray from their patch of land. At the time I pass by they are usually being fed by their owner who comes up in the evening to check on them.

Lately they've been out on the road and follow me probably hoping to be fed. I turn and berate them and wave my sticks and they back off making loud gobbly noises.

Today they had gone exploring and were heading for trouble down a narrow lane. A car came along and they had to run like the wind on their spindly legs, wings down, chins a wobbling.

The guy in the car herded them most of the way back and I took over waving my sticks and telling them off for being a gang of half wits who couldn't find their way home.

Luckily they didn't decide to gather their forces and attack or it would have been me running down the road on spindly-ish legs with my chin wobbling wildly.



I've shown you this photo before. Some frustrated hunter couldn't find a poor sparrow or a bunny rabbit to shoot at and shot up the sign post instead.


Leaving a few cartridges behind. 
I have run into hunters on my walk, with guns and all that camouflage gear but they have been out giving their dogs a run. I think.  
Is hunting allowed on the island??  K has inquired but answers are vague. As long as you don't get caught seems to be the law. 

Remember those fierce dogs that used to bark at me when I walked passed. Well, it seems they weren't as fierce as they looked and sounded. The other day they didn't even bother to bark and wagged tails as I saluted them and said 'good evening'. I'm still glad they're behind a high fence though.


My walks are slowly getting longer and I'm now getting to the point where I can see the sea.
It's only about 3-4 ks. I must take my step and km watch and see just how far I am walking. I'm aiming for 5ks.
I'm not interested in breaking records or walking a marathon




14 comments:

  1. You made me laugh with that comment about you running on trembly legs with your chin wobbling.
    Keep on walking and you'll reach that sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be wobbling all right and probably trip over and end up on my behind waving my sticks to stop them poking my eyes out.
      Shudder. They're quite tame really.
      The sea is in sight! I shall reach those far shores lol

      Delete
  2. Lovely walk. When we lived north of Kaitaia there were wandering turkeys. Christmas dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely walk. When we lived north of Kaitaia there were wandering turkeys. Christmas dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone knows whose they are and so far they're safe. As in any small community, NZ or Greece

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go slow and you’ll get fitter and fitter.
    Nancy and I spent months and months getting fit enough that we were able to walk for ages during our trip.
    It’s only pain that stops me now. I’m good for about six kilometres then I start to really hurt and I have to stop. But I’m not puffed at all. So that’s good at least

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, slow and steady keeps us going. 3 years ago I started walking half a kilometre. Losing weight has helped immensely. I'd walk further at the moment but i know I have to turn around and walk back the same way. Boring

      Delete
  6. Your walks are certainly not boring. Beats a treadmill any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The return trip can be boring. Wish there was a round trip I could take

      Delete
  7. Shooting at road signs, etc, seems to be international, in France we see it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Local yokels are the same everywhere it seems

      Delete
  8. I had a giggle over your spindly legs comment! We see shot up road signs here in Aus out in the country. Well done with your walks, I went for 5km today to the shops, great going there as the wind was behind me, really hard coming home!! Maybe the fierce dogs are getting to know you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those dogs finally recognize me. The owner did day they were friendly. Just takes time, they are guard dogs

      Delete