Wednesday 3 January 2024

New Year

There are 10,001 New Year's traditions here, at least.
Here are a few we followed this year. 


Hanging a squill, big wild bulb, on the front gate
It was given to us all wrapped, beribboned and with a loop to hang it up.
I've got to the stage of 'if it's not easy then forget it.'
It symbolises wealth and growth, so they say. Heaven knows why.
I'm all for a bit of wealth coming my way. It can hang there till it doesn't .

Our poor little pomegranate. 
The first footer goes out and smashes the pomegranate against the door.  The more the seeds spread out the more luck will come to the household.

The pomegranate (rodi in Greek) was left over from the Christmas coleslaw. I got out the carving knife and made big cuts in the top so it would explode all over the place. Only it didn't explode . It was more of an im-plode.
It was rotten inside. A few seeds did spill out.  
It was lucky for me. No big mess to clean up this year.
Who really believes in this stuff anyway.



The Vassilopita, sweet New Years cake, made by Elli.  Really good and beautifully decorated . I forgot about meat eating and ate a big piece of this, and a few chocolates too.
The Vassilopita has a coin in it and naturally the person who gets the slice with the coin is guaranteed a year of good luck.
The slices are cut, the first for the house and fields (what fields), the 2nd for the Virgin Mary and then  slices are cut for the oldest in the family, going down to the youngest, dogs, cats and the hamster.
K was the lucky one this year.



At lunch the New Years bread was cut the same way by our son-in-law. Bread made by K,  a great success.
 Guess who found the coin. The Patriarch of our Greek family found it again.  2 out of 2.
What with wild onion bulbs, pomegranates and lucky coins he's in for one helluva year. I hope some of this luck and wealth rubs off onto me.
I'd better be an obedient Greek wife this year, walk 2 paces behind him and nod my head at his wise words . I'm Laughing Out Loud 



There is the coin wrapped in silver paper at the bottom of the slice of bread. His win, fair and square. The next slice was mine. Out of luck this time Linda.


And here he is.
The Man of the Year for 2024


 

16 comments:

  1. He started off as he means to go on. Lucky 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he is lucky. That will mean happy too

      Delete
  2. It's not the luck of the Irish. It sounds like the luck of ths Poros people. I definitely believe some people are lucky and some are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice traditions and lucky for some. I´m sure some of his good luck will rub off on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully what's good for him will be good for me too !

      Delete
  4. I too hope some of the luck comes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will!!! I won't let him get away with not sharing!

      Delete
  5. Oh my. The good Greek wife made me laugh out loud. My hubby lucked out there I’m a total failure lol
    And for the next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many of that type of wife around here! Times have changed

      Delete
  6. In France we had a frangipane tart with a little ceramic figure inside. The finder of course also had good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A frangipane tart. I'd like to try one of those

      Delete
  7. Great photos.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Good Greek wife' - how many of those walking two paces behind are in fact holding the leash?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha. I could never be an obedient wife, mind you i'm not married though. There's something about pomegranates that I can't eat, maybe it's the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I baked a Vasilopita for our annual luncheon at church ~ mostly to have pieces for sale, or to donate what ever you can, or just grab a piece. We sell it and send the proceeds to St. Basil Academy (an Orthodox school that serves orphans). I forgot to put the coin in, I was so mortified! I immediately went to my recipe and put in a note for the coin.

    Fula was the lucky winner of the coin this year ~ she has been having health problems and wasn’t sure she was going to church that Sunday, but decided she must. Then she won!

    Phooey on being obedient. :-)

    ReplyDelete