Friday 8 December 2023

Whats Up

           Greek household glimpses.


What is this??
It's one of the vegetables whose leaves were shredded by darned caterpillars.
Broccoli? I would say No.
Cauliflower?
Or cabbage which I didn't plant?
A pox on all leaf eating caterpillars.

It doesn't matter, because whatever plant it is/was, it hasn't grown at all in 2 weeks. Do these plants need leaves to thrive and survive?

In high winds last week some of our roof tiles broke. Our roof tiler, a cousin of course,  climbed up there and replaced the tiles in 5 minutes. I'm told they just slot in, one under/over the other. I await the next gale to see what happens.
The tiles themselves have been piled up in the field next door for the last 10 years.
You see, these hoarded 'treasures' do come in handy. Once in a blue moon.

This years  wine and oil has been collected from the family land near Corinth.
Son in law's  mother was born in a tiny mountain village and her olive trees and vines have been handed on down to the children.
A cousin looks after the fields, picks the grapes and olives, makes the wine and gets the olives pressed. He gets a percentage for his hard work and the remainder goes to son in law and his sisters.
In years past we have taken our station wagon up the steep, narrow, winding roads and collected the wine.  We have finished drinking last year's vintage.  Bring on Vintage 2023.
Someone else with a truck picked up this year's harvest. Thank goodness. No way I was going up to that village again. Steep inclines, sharp bends, farm workers picking olives with nets over the road made the last kilometres into an obstacle course. Too much for my nerves. Great views of course, all the way down to the Gulf of Corinth. 



This year, and last, the wine was poured into 20 litre bags with a tap and placed in a cardboard box for easy transport . I'm sure you've all seen boxed wine.
As long as the air in the bags is pressed out before closing the wine lasts for years.  So they say.
It never lasts that long in our house.

The wine has fermented, but it's still young. I'll let you know in a month what it tastes like.  We have both white and rosé, and 5 litres of a red wine . The red wine is the cousins own. It's kept in a wooden barrel and it's about 5 years old. 
I give a litre or 2 to my English friend and she compares it to sherry. To be drunk in small glasses.


It's finally cold enough for a fire. The pot is full of bones. I have been boiling them over three nights and this morning strained off a litre of bone broth. It's really good to use in all sorts of meat dishes or you can drink it to give you strength and health. So they say . 
I collect bones from all our boiled and roasted chicken, pork and beef and store them in the freezer till I have enough to fill a pot.




Winter is knitting time.
I was knitting Xmas stockings but got bored. I frogged those.
Now I'm knitting a sleeveless jersey for myself. So far so good.
Last year I knitted a jersey. I ripped it out (frogged) 3 times. Worth the final result!

Frogged?
Rip..rip..rip
Sounds like.....
Ribit..ribit..ribit

Do your frogs 'say' ribit??
They do here. But I always thought frogs went 'croak croak'.









17 comments:

  1. I’d definitely stay home and let others do the driving My nerves wouldn’t take it now days either.
    Frogging is just something we do. One of the reasons I do not craft for money. If I don’t have a deadline frogging isn’t an issue.
    Our frogs make all sorts of wonderful sounds I might record it and post it for you all to hear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny the way different countries have different animal noises.
      I don't mind frogging. If I don't then I probably won't use the finished item. Doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to please me

      Delete
  2. Keep knitting! Not sure my hands would do it nowX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy. Thank goodness for knitting. It helps me to get through long dark nights.

      Delete
  3. Kol rabi. Turnip rooted cabbage. You new jumper is very close in colour to one i have just finished for Mr B. Well done on getting another years supply of wine and oil without having to negotiate that track

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we don't get any of the oil. K is very happy with the wine. All is well.
      I hope the plant does grow. I'll be watching!

      Delete
  4. Perth frogs are called motorbike frogs, and that’s what they sound like, all night long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye gods and little fishes. If K was there he'd be out there hunting them out!! Ferrets on the tiles make some noise but only now and again.

      Delete
  5. Kohlrabi, a versatile vegetable! Haven´t heard any frogs for years, the downside of living in a concrete jungle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have frogs in the garden . They don't make much noise though.
      Kohlrabi ? I'm not sure it's known around here

      Delete
  6. I grew Kohlrabi one year, I didn't bother again. They look so interesting, yet have no flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one for kohlrabi. But I've never seen it in the shops here. I shall google and find the Greek name

      Delete
  7. Frogs are good for the veg plot helping to keep the slugs and snails 🐌 away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I haven't seen any slugs but I wish they'd gobble up the snails. There are plenty of those.
      I like frogs and hope they're not eaten by wild roaming cats.

      Delete
  8. I bet that pot of bones adds a wonderful aroma to the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boiling bones is not my favourite smell. I kept the lid tightly closed . Result looked thick and brothy.

      Delete
  9. I am late to comment on they vegetable! We have frogs here called pobblebonks they make a sound like a flat banjo string, luckily there are not many around here.

    ReplyDelete