Sunday 17 December 2023

Sunday Before Christmas

 

It's a cold and windy Sunday. About 10oC here, snowing further north.

Ferry boats are tied up in port because of gale force winds.

In big towns and cities all the shops are open for an extra day of Christmas shopping. Sunday trading is usually not allowed.

Here on the island there's no trading but I'm sure cafeterias are filled with locals wanting coffee and a chat.

Here in our house we have Christmas music on the radio. The fire was lit early morning and is cooking our lunch. A turkey leg with orzo (pasta shaped like rice) in an oily, tomato sauce with lots of garlic and oregano. Very traditional winter food.

K is cooking today.  He wants a traditional meal. None of those foreign chicken wings with 5 spice.  Greek salad and feta. No Coleslaw and Gouda. 


The wood fire cooks our lunch, boils the water for coffee and warms house and soul


Christmas biscuit time.
K is making them this year using a traditional recipe. From the internet.
These are honey biscuits. Made with olive oil, flavoured with orange zest and cloves and soaked in a honey syrup. 
They are called in Greek
'Melomakarouna'






16 comments:

  1. Looks lovely ......cant wait....🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks perfect doesn't it. Nice K is doing the cooking. Forgot to add that I'm doing all the dishes

      Delete
  2. Can you please send mine to Italy? I can pick them up on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy. You'll be just over the water.
      But I'd be gobbling down delicious pasta, also with lots of olive oil and garlic, real pizza, great wine and tons of pastries!!

      Delete
  3. Am so going to miss good melomakarona this year. I want a fireplace like that when we build our nz house. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire is a great idea. It puts out a lot of heat. K was insistent on getting one with an oven on top and he was right. The temperature is a bit uncertain but you get to know your own oven.

      Delete
  4. Mel means honey in Portuguese so those biscuits sound like honey macaroons to me lol. I bet they´ll taste lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting about the word for honey. In Greek the word for honey is 'meli'. Honey macaroons would be a good description. I'll post a photo soon. He's just finishing dipping them in the syrup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness your meal sounds delicious, and those biscuits must taste heavenly !
    Cold gale force winds are not to be reckoned with, glad you are staying warm and cozy in your home.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day for me. I got some home work done beside the fire

      Delete
  7. I love a man in uniform- I wouldn’t be averse to loving a man who cooks. Lucky you got one. . .
    Mines still ‘in training’ even after all these years!
    Your wood stove wouldn’t have gone amiss here in Melbourne recently - our evenings are still a bit on the chilly side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't argue with my man who was in uniform when I met him. He cooks, I tell him how delicious it is, and clean up ...after he has cleaned up

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It really gives off a lot of heat. Keeps us warm and cosy

      Delete
  9. I really like your wood burner, I wish I'd bought one like that for our cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very efficient and helps keep the bills down. Wood is still relatively cheap here too

      Delete