Thursday 21 December 2023

The English Side


And now for the English side of Christmas.



Last night I made 2 dozen Christmas-mince pies with
fruit mince doused in Metaxa brandy.
All homemade from the fruit mince to the pastry.  I've forgotten what a real mince pie tastes like.  Originally, years ago, when I started making these I had a recipe but they're normally a combination of what I can buy and how I can improvise.  My english friend assures me they're wonderful.  That's all the necessary.  She and me and my daughter are the only ones who truly appreciate these.  Others eat and like them, even traditional greeks, but you also have to understand the tradition.  The English tradition.



I also made 2 more of my Christmas-sy cakes
These are an improvisation too.  The last 2 have only currants because I ran out of sultanas and can't find any more in the shops.  I used apricot jam to make up the bulk of fruit.  And I only had one egg so substituted a tbsp of apple cider vinegar for the second egg.
I'm the Queen of Substitutes.

I may try just a corner of one to see what it tastes like.
So far I haven't eaten any Christmas sweet, greek or English though I did lick a spoon or too just to check the spiciness and savour the taste of Christmas.

Ahem....In the name of science I just tried a piece of both of these English delights.  My oh my!  The Xmass-sy fruit cake is amazing.  Rich and fruity and nice and moist.  

I shall not eat anymore.  I shall not...

Actually I can't eat anymore.  After months of not eating anything with sugar or flour something like this upsets my stomach.  So, enough!

A very Merry English Christmas to you all

And for those wondering about the New Zealand side, that will come on Christmas Day.  Pavlova.

What I'd really love to have for Christmas is a traditional NZ ham.  The whole Greek family remembers fondly the NZ ham experience. In 2004 on our big downunder trip my kiwi sister in law found us a huge ham. R we are forever in debt to you for your generosity.
  2004, it was November, not quite Christmas.  A huge smoked ham on the bone .  My of my!
There's nothing like slices of that ham with salad and then endless ham sandwiches.  

I think it's time to stop this food waffle









16 comments:

  1. The Queen Of Substites would be brilliant book title for your recipe book LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recipe book eh. Substitutes and improvisation will be a vital part of it!

      Delete
  2. Both tge English and Greek baking sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both delicious of course. And an important part of the Xmas season

      Delete
  3. You’re making me very hungry.
    Now as for pavlova…. The debate continues lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to agree to disagree on that one. The best downunder dessert!

      Delete
  4. It all looks and sounds very delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mince pies look so good! Not a real fan of fruit cake, but my spouse likes it! I admire someone who can be a substitute Queen...I am not good at on the fly substitutions!
    I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things are unavailable here it's a case of substitute or forget it.
      A very Merry Xmas to you!!

      Delete
  6. Lady M has been very lazy this year. I bought all the ingredients but she prefers to buy her pies at Marks & Spencer's. Hers are usually far better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather have some of those real dinkum Marks and Spenser's mince pies . Just to get the right taste of pastry and filling. Maybe I'll order some next year

      Delete
  7. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mince pies and Christmas-y cakes look delicious, I'll take half a dozen and half a loaf please.
    Yes, it's hard to find ingredients that you need in other countries, but improvising does seem to do the trick.
    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, dear friend.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mince pies and Cakes looks amazing, you are very good to not be eating them! I remember many a NZ ham at Christmas and the many uses of the left overs!

    ReplyDelete