Thursday 28 April 2022

Memorial

 I was hoping K would attend an early morning memorial service for his cousin all by himself. But no, this time he expected his wife to be by his side. We were down there by 9, went into the church to light a candle. Then we went outside to sit on a wall. The church would get crowded later.  The service is broadcast through a loud speaker for anyone preferring to stay out in the fresh air.  K's sister joined us soon after and I got nudged  every time I had to stand up or sit down.  The services are mostly 'greek to me' though I do understand a little more now other than 'God have mercy' (Kyrie Eleison) and Amen



Our daughters arrived a bit later and we all sat on the wall and watched the people come and go, the little boys running up and down the church steps to let off steam and all the passers-by on their way to Sunday work.


Yianni, the friendly undertaker, had all the bags for the funeral wheat (koliva) piled up on a table outside.  He placed them this way and then that way, gave a couple of the sweet cakes, which are popped into the bag with the funeral wheat, to the street cleaner, and had several consultations with members of the family who came out to get a breath of fresh air.

The funeral wheat is in a fancy tray inside the church and is blessed during the memorial.   Yianni then grabs the tray and brings it out to shovel a few spooonfuls in a smaller bag.  The smaller bag of wheat, a sweet cake and a plastic spoon are placed in a larger white bag with a cross on it and handed out as everyone files out the door.  Then we all go off for coffee at a cafeteria nearby, paid for by the bereaved family.

This is where we hear all the family gossip and catch up on friends and relatives.  Each person is given a cup of greek coffee, a glass of water and on the table is a bowl of koulourakia (cookies).  Later a liqueur is served in small glasses.  It's a special liqueur called mastiha.  In days of old there used to be both brandy and liqueur and in bottles on the table and you helped yourself to as many glasses as you wanted hic.  More than once  I tottered out of a memorial coffee  with a slight stagger.  Memorials are morning affairs and we never eat breakfast beforehand


The small boy, grandson of the deceased, spent almost the entire service running up and down those steps.  Thank goodness he didn't have to stand at attention inside. He would have blown a gasket.




18 comments:

  1. Such a difference to the way things are done here. Although I think that there are changes starting to happen with more secular services now being chosen. I think I should be sent off with a big party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the secular services. I've only been to 2, my parents. The atmosphere was still solemn but the feeling lighter. Celebration of lives they call it.

      Delete
  2. A good memorial then - a proper community of people to remember and lend support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always plenty of support for the first 40 days. I remember when my brother in law died, the gatherings in the yard downstairs went on every night which my sis in law appreciated. She didn't want to be alone

      Delete
  3. It sounds a good send off. Lovely church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three main churches are all big. And the bells ring loudly all over the town

      Delete
  4. I’m so sorry for your loss. May they Rest In Peace
    I can’t eat the koliver it’s just so sweet. So I just usually put the tiniest amount into my mouth, for their soul, and give the rest to hubby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the koliva. This had plenty of nuts and pomegranite. I like the sutff too much

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about K's cousin. As we grow older, it seems we lose more and more family members. Guess that is life for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funerals do get more frequent. I used to go to most, family and neighbours, but avoid them now.

      Delete
  6. I had to look up funeral wheat as I could only imagine stalks of wheat standing in the harvest field. I now see what it is, a dish of food to eat. Interesting rituals. When my mother died all the local grain merchants and business people came along to her funeral and we made short cakes because that was what she always had ready for them when they called. We also had fruit cake and many pots of tea. It was an early afternoon affair. And theyn they all started talking about farming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have explained about the funeral wheat. I used to make it with my sis in law for family members. Now we all order it from the undertakers mother.
      It was afternoon tea after my parents funeral with lots of good NZ wine.

      Delete
  7. A nice send off. Thanks for telling us about another one of your Greek customs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K makes sure we know the rituals so everything is carried out properly for him, one day

      Delete
  8. It seems like church is a big part of Greek life and whenever I've heard Greek people speak it's like they talk so fast, I'd probably find it a bit hard picking it up. But I think you did the right thing going to the church with K, I probably would've done that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Church is still a big part of their lives even though the churches may not be full on a Sunday. It's all very sociable too. Time to check up on friends and family

      Delete
  9. I left a comment but it has disappeared. Did it go into Spam? Perhaps you could check Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw what you wrote on your blog too. I did see your comment originally but when I went to answer. Thought you had deleted. Wrong

      Delete