Sunday 1 May 2022

May Day

 A public holiday, supposedly for workers but workers here were labouring overtime. Because May Day falls on Sunday it has been transferred to Monday, another 3 day weekend. The island is full again.


The weather has been warm but changing now. Looks as though Monday is going to be grey and wet. Not cold though.


Most of our covid restrictions come to an end today. Hooray.


Traditionally there are protest marches, riots and Molotov cocktails in Athens. Workers march for better conditions and pay. I'm waiting to see the news and see what's happened this year.


Traditionally we pick wild flowers and make a wreath to hang on the front door. Last year my wreath ended up as a big bouquet and I hung it on the front gate. I did the same this year. There were plenty of bright flowers in the neighbourhood but I've  lost the knack of forming the wreath and fixing the flowers. I used to cut a bendy olive branch as the base. I just couldn't get it to form a circle and the string I was using was nylon and slippery. 



My bouquet. 





16 comments:

  1. Your bouquet is still a thing of beauty . Gorgeous bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looked much better in real life . There were yellow daisies in there and some white flowers, lots more mauve.

      Delete
  2. Your bouquet is beautiful. We didn't see anyone carrying bunches of wild (or filched garden) flowers around today. Usually everyone is collecting flowers along the coast road. Lets hope Athens was quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying they were cutting everything they could find. So many wild flowers this year. I didn't collect poppies, prefer to see them in the fields and the wisteria has just finished flowering but has loads of greenery . Our garden centre was open too. I bet he sold out!

      Delete
  3. I love that bright splash of color ~ what a great tradition! I sure wish we had enough wild flowers to pick, but it is so dry. We have quite a few fires right now too, it is very hazy in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a wet winter and longer than usual, it's raining again today. The wild flowers are wonderful just now.
      Our dry season is coming.

      Delete
  4. It looks lovely. I think our hands just don’t do what they did when we were younger. Making a wreath is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give up sooner too. My grandaughter made a beautiful wreath. I remember when we all got together and made three or 4 for all the family houses. Next year I'll put in an order. She can make an extra for us

      Delete
  5. In France people give small sprigs of Lilly of the Valley (Muguet) to each other; here May Day is ignored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning Lily of the Valley. That's a lovely gesture.

      Delete
  6. A really pretty wreath and giving flowers is a nice gesture. Our mandates are coming to an end too with international borders opening, I hear that most people here have had covid anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family is considering visiting this summer. Seems to be just another sort of flu now. About time we are all free again!!

      Delete
  7. Yes May day bank holiday was supposed to be a days holiday for workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a worker's holiday here. Unless you're in the tourist industry. Other rules there. Work work work while you can

      Delete
  8. Your bouquet looks pretty - and so much easier to make than a wreath! :)

    ReplyDelete