Monday 11 April 2022

Coff coff coff Coffee Time

After many weeks, maybe months we visited a harbourside coffee shop for a coffee and some people watching.  The weather was  sunny and warm but we sat in the shade as one does here, wrapped up in our jackets.  April is not summer unless you're a visitor from the frozen north. 


Our old haunt, the T-Cafe has been taken over by the younger generation and re-vamped .  It is now the 'Retro' Cafe and is advertised as serving brunch.  Why the Retro cafe I don't know.  I don't know what they're serving for brunch either.  The cafe is now run by the son and daughter-in-law.  K went to school with the Dad who retired in November.  As an  old friend, and very good friend,we always got special service and often special prices here.  Now the Dad is off tending to his olive trees, gardening and tending his land as he has wanted to do for years.  We pay the price which is printed on the menu.  The prices were fine though, especially considering recent inflation.  3.20 euros for a freddo espresso and 2.50 for a double greek coffee. 

But the atmosphere is not the same without the old familiar company.  Old customers have drifted off to other cafes during the 4 months it was closed.  Old customers who came every day but sat for hours over a greek coffee and brought their own 'brunch' with them, as we often did, a sesame roll or a cheese pie.  We won't feel so comfortable bringing our own 'brunch' anymore.  And our company has gone.  It will be interesting to see if this remains a 'K approved' cafe or whether we will move on as well.

The inside of the cafe looks wonderful, light and bright and there seems to be much more room.  No boxes of supplies in the corners and crates of old bottles.  Not yet anyway.  I haven't seen the loos but they were always nice and clean so that won't have changed.  The outside seating area is much the same though they have replaced the chairs and sofas with new ones.  Much like the old.  But now on one side is a wide screen tv.  It's on all day tuned to one of the sports channels.  That's a plus for me.  It's something else to watch when greek mens' conversations get long winded and boring.  Unfortunately it was showing motor racing when we were there.  Yawn.



One thing hasn't changed.  Poros is still safe and we are well known.  We see the price of the coffees, leave the change on the table, stand up and walk off without being chased down the street and accused of not paying.  We often do that here.  No-one will steal the money, hopefully, and the waiter knows that if he sees us leave then the money will be sitting beside the ticket on the table.  It's an old system which is slowly dying out, except perhaps in small villages or an island like ours where we are all known and trusted.

We wouldn't do it in mid-summer mind you.  Far too many shady characters wandering about

 

14 comments:

  1. Whenever we have been on our travels, P likes to do the same as you...just leave the money on the table beside the ticket. I, on the other hand, always insist on looking for the waiter so that I can hand over our payment. This does tend to lead to some full and frank marital discussion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like leaving it on the table either but it's either that or trying to find the darn waiter who is often chatting to a friend or out of sight.
      I know that if anything did happen they'd chase after K so especially if it's a small amount I just walk off.

      Delete
  2. Motor racing does sound boring LA. I don't like going in pubs and Sky News is on the television and people talk about what is going on in the world. It a shame things have to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately there's no sound on the TV, unless it's a big football match. I hope we see some tennis. It's on cable TV and we don't see Wimbledon at home because we don't have cable. Maybe I'll see some matches this year

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it is sad that things change (I think they call it progress), but I guess each new generation has its own way of doing things.
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The revamp is nice and bright but they'll be looking for a different sort of customer especially during the tourist season. I think we may be moving on.

      Delete
  4. Was it the grand Prix in Melbourne? My son went on the practice day
    I was worried all day as he went down on his motorbike and then back home
    It’s sad to see the old go. Occasionally the new is better just takes getting used too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was motorbike racing actually. Don't know where. A dangerous sport!! Im sure your son doesn't drive like that!

      Delete
  5. I hope the Greek coffee was good, is it very different from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K approved of the coffee. I was surprised. It's a different girl in their making it. Maybe they're employing a barista. The espresso freddo was fine. It's always too darn strong for me wherever I go so I order it with sugar...helps the medecine go down lol
      In winter I drink cappuccino but I decided to change my summer brew, cut out the milk. I should ask if they will make freddo cappuccino with soy milk. Somehow I doubt it. We are not that advanced here

      Delete
  6. I don't like change in favourite cafés or restaurants. Things rarely change for the better. We do the same in France with our café tab. People are still honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised to hear that the cafe tab is paid like that in other places. That's a good sign. People are basically honest

      Delete
  7. The golf club was ‘altered’ a while back and ‘it’s just not the same’. They’re trying to attract younger members- so comfortable seating is out, trendy food with ‘strange ingredients’ is in. We’d often drive 30 mins for a coffee, now I shake my head if The Golfer suggests it.

    He spends plenty of time up there….but they go elsewhere for their after game coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what's happened here, looking for the younger generation. They come back at night too and drink till the small hours. I think we will move on. Pity. We will meet up with Ks old cronies again. More hours of chewing over the latest gossip.
      I'm on the fence about the change.

      Delete