Wednesday 20 April 2022

Hotcross Buns

 Today I finally got around to baking my hotcross buns.  I made the dough yesterday and after a couple of rises and punching it down I left it in the fridge overnight for a long cold rise.  This morning I divided the dough into 12 pieces, roughly formed them into balls and baked them.  Oh boy, that smell of baking buns is devine.  They came out soft and spicy and incredibly fluffy.  I know from experience that when they cool down they also become far less fluffy so I just tore one apart and savoured every bite.



I was going to make hot-without-the-cross-buns but had a look at Nigella Lawson's recipe.  She always goes for ease.  Every other recipe says to pipe the cross on to the buns.  She says dribble the mix on with a spoon.  Splendid.  Looks good I think.  


Unfortunately when I took some down for my daughter I was reminded that today, Holy Wednesday, is a day of strict fast and no-one can eat them because they have eggs and butter.  Hadn't considered that.  Never mind.  They're even better toasted and spread with butter and jam.


Yesterday was Holy Tuesday, the tradiontal day to make easter cookies, called koulourakia.  So the kids gathered and they baked about 80 koulourakia.  Enough for 4 families.  



The girls did all the work and cleaned up afterwards.


The big boss made sure that all was done in a ship shape and bristol fashion. 


Rolling out the dough and shaping it into all sorts of braid and snail shapes


The first batch out of the oven


Official tasters hard at work
The cookies passed the test though we may have to make another few batches at the rate they are disappearing


You can't leave our house without eating so the big boss was also frying piles of kalamari and potatoes for the workers


The kalamari was from New Zealand of all places.  I couldn't believe my eyes when K brought them home and I saw the label.  They were cheaper than the local ones and we had a crowd to feed but heavens to Betsy, here we are in Greece eating NZ squid?



13 comments:

  1. More yumminess. I would not be able to resist if I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's easy to skip the offal and sheep's head but there's an awful lot of really good high octane food

      Delete
  2. Wish you had a smellavision app for your blog LA. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buns and biscuits were on aroma overload . I haven't even worked out how to post a video . Smellavision may be on the horizon one day, but not mine

      Delete
  3. Funny isn’t it. Stuff from overseas being cheaper than the local. It’s the same here.
    So much baking. I’m exhausted just reading it.
    I’m going to be lazy and go buy mine. I help the economy as my Easter good deed lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can that frozen stuff come 12,000 miles and still be a better price. I always wonder. I had a look at the dates on the packet. They were frozen a year ago and have a 2 year expiry date. Not exactly fresh but still fine.
      I would buy ours too but someone else won't let me, darn it

      Delete
  4. Lady M's crosses always cover half the bun. She obviously needs the dribble method.

    Do you just fry the squid? They look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squid is floured and fried, in our best olive oil of course. They were huge but K cut them into rings and they were fine

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, I looked at frozen squid here the other day and decided it was too expensive! We seldom see the fresh stuff.
    Enjoy those buns (the smell is so yummy!)
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can that frozen squid be expensive in NZ and cheap here. Can't get my mind around that. We often eat frozen squid but it's not usually from so far away. It's always much cheaper than the fresh.

      Delete
  6. So many wonderful cooking smells in your house! Amazing the squid is cheaper over there, I often buy NZ fish here and I prefer not to buy The Vietnamese fish after seeing where they are farmed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be willing to come and help y’all with the baking for some of that kalamari, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Calamari! We use to use it alot for fish bait too.

    ReplyDelete