Saturday 16 April 2022

Sea Views

Oh it has been so nice and quiet.
But on today's walk out in the wop-wops 2 unknown cars passed me and two tourists on bikes.  The 2 foreign girls hailed me with a cheerful 'Kalimera' so I answered with my own loud 'kalimera', even though 'kalimera' is good morning and it was 6pm in the evening.  Good on them for learning a greek word.

It's easter hols for a lot of the world and greek schools close tomorrow for 2 weeks to celebrate the Orthodox easter.  The island is going to be full, especially for the greek easter.  We are a popular destination, a greek island close to Athens.   One you can drive your car to.  Darn it



A greek beach in winter with a lone fisherman.  A peaceful way to spend the day watching the waves and waiting for a line to to start jiggling.
Next month it will only be late night fishing.  Day time this beach will be crowded


Looking towards the big tourist hotel on the point.
That's where I worked the first summer I arrived in Greece


Looking across the bay to the main town



Another empty beach where soon there will be lines of sunbeds and baking bods

 

16 comments:

  1. Do you dread the crowds, or are you used to it by now? Here in Ontario (and throughout Canada) we have a holiday on Good Friday and Easter Monday, so people get what is referred to as a long weekend. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Easter weekend is a week later this year. So this week we will have all the foreign tourists on their Easter break and the following one all the Greeks will turn up for orthodox Easter.
      Then hopefully they'll all disappear for a month . I like the quiet

      Delete
  2. I love that term wop wops. Makes me laugh for some reason. The first time my Aussie friend said it I snorted into my beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real Aussie term! Just one of many funny ones

      Delete
  3. Have you any hotel amusing stories? A Poros version of Fawlty Towers perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a room cleaner along with a load of Greek girls. There were a few stories, of course. It's been a long time. Haven't really thought about those days for ages

      Delete
  4. The thought of all those tourists descending upon you makes me shudder. Enjoy those beaches while you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need tourists of course and they're good for people watching but boy are they annoying!

      Delete
  5. I chuckled at the term wop wops... Such a Kiwi expression and to cool you used the term it after all your time in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an idea that kiwis had a different expression for the middle of nowhere. But no. Thanks for saying so

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Boon docks (or 'boonies') is another such expression

      Delete
  6. I would even dare head for the beach this weekend, it was enough seeing the hoards coming from the station. I think London must now be empty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully you get the warm weather of summer and we get the cool weather of winter. Today we had a high of about 28 degrees. Way too warm for autumn

    ReplyDelete