Monday 10 April 2023

Spring Fever

This weekend was the 'catholic' easter (as they say here).  One more week till the Greek easter.  The weather is warm and sunny with a few showers.  Summer is coming fast.  The painting and refurbishing of tavernas and cafes has come to an end and most of them are up and running.

There are a few foreign tourists around and this week, Holy Week for the Greeks, there will be flood of visitors from Athens and other parts of the country all coming to participate in the traditional Greek island Easter celebrations. 

Those visitors with summer houses are thinking about their own painting and clean-up over their holidays.  This week walls and steps will be white washed, gardens weeded and replanted, grills and BBQs sanded down and spruced up so they're ready for the Easter Sunday (April 16th) spit roasting of the sacrificial lamb and it's innards.

Even our own neighbourhood out in the backcountry is starting to come to life.  The absentee owners of the three empty houses around us have appeared and will be looking for labourers to strim their driveways, thigh high in winter growth.  

We also are in the getting-ready-for-easter mode.  K has booked our Albanian lad for Monday to put up the shade netting over one balcony and pull the last weeds.  He himself is sanding down the long spits for the grill and checking that the machines that turn the spit are greased and ready for action.  


On Saturday we went down to the garden shop.
The owner is our neighbour across the valley.  He has a loud booming voice which can be heard quite clearly at our house.  He and all his family were at the shop running to complete all the orders.  Even the 6 month baby was there being babysitted by his slightly older sister.

The place was humming.
 

I had a look at the flowers but I think I'll wait a few weeks till it's a bit warmerThere were lots of herbs, lavender, thyme, oregano, mint but no summer vegetable plants yet.  The only ones I saw were strawberries.  I'm not a strawberry person.


There were 2 sorts of lavender.  I was tempted by these pots.  The lavender flowers are so big and bright.  However I already have a well established lavender.  It's flowers are smaller and more lilac but still with a powerful aroma.



They have a lot of garden pottery decorations.  I'm always tempted by those but I have loads in the garden already.

Measuring out the dark green shade cloth




Really nice pots with an olive branch design.  We have so many good pottery pots.  Don't need another


A garden or roadside shrine




My favourite.
A sort of Billy Goat Gruff gnome.
He will come home with me one day

 K bought the shade cloth, a bag of whitewash, a few bags of soil, a gardenia and a box of charcoal to fire the easter grill. 

16 comments:

  1. Busy Bees on Poros. I would love to buy all those clay plant pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of clay pots in the garden, small and huge. Much more pleasing than plastic but we get plastic pots with our plants. I use both

      Delete
    2. People drop off plastic plants for me but I much prefer terracotta ones. Do they stand ice and frost Linda?

      Delete
  2. Those garden centres are a treasure trove. The plant stalls at the laiki also drew F like a magnet. She never stopped being sucked in by the scent of Basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting to see Basil but there was none. They'll probably have it the week after Easter. Got to have my basil

      Delete
  3. So many lovely things there. P would have to drag me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit underwhelmed this time. I would have bought a couple of pansies but there were none. I suppose it's just a little early

      Delete
  4. Here in Perth the weather is cooling as we celebrate the “Catholic” Easter. I imagine K will be looking forward to BBQing and spit roasting over the coming summer. You are lucky you have the Albanian workers to spruce up the yard. We have a 20 metre old Eucalyptus tree in the block behind us that rains dead leaves, branches & nuts over our back yard. I have a never ending job cleaning up the mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K is indeed looking forward to bbqing. He's got a BBQ on every balcony! I'd love a eucalyptus but have to make do with an olive tree which is turning into a dwarf.
      Thank goodness for Albanians, and Pakistanis. We have order in the backyard.... Once a year

      Delete
  5. Sounds like 'all systems go'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. It's raining again today. Good for the garden but we need some dry days to get some work done this week

      Delete
  6. We live in a tourist area here in South Dakota as well. Tourist season is a mixed blessing. Love the nice weather but dislike the longer waits at the restaurants and traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know all about it! These next 2 weeks will be crazy but may should be quiet again. Till the schools close in June and then it's full on

    ReplyDelete
  8. No doubt you are looking forward to Summer but not all the tourists, at least they provide help for the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You showed great restraint. Not like me at all lol
    I don’t know if I can do Easter again. But I guess I must. Kali anasasi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be very tempted by the pottery decorations - but, then, my garden has very few decorations in it now. Enjoy that lamb (and all its innards!). Mxx

    ReplyDelete