Tuesday 25 April 2023

Rest Stops

Spring coming on summer.  These wooden benches have, over the last few years, been placed by the council all over the island.  I wish they'd put more, especially up here in the wop-wops.  I have one up near me where I rest sometimes on my walks 


Benches with a view



Here's the view
Vagionia Bay



This is my local bench
The view is of the valley below but also of the sea in the distance and on a clear day the island of Aegina.  The mountain in the background is on the mainland.




Church squares are meeting places for locals in the evening


Often the old priest, Papa Panarytos, will be there too,
chatting and soaking up the last of the days sunshine




A bench with shade
Perfect to sit and reflect out of the heat of the summer sun


There are often fishermen here with their long rods, two or three of them at a short distance, waiting for the tug of a line




The best bench of all
A few kilometres out of town
In winter you can hear the silence
In summer there are big luxury yachts with long ropes tieing them to the rocks below
The yachts have peace and quiet during the day and at night are just a short launch ride from tavernas and cafeterias

The little island is called Daskalio, Teacher's Island.  It is vaguely in the shape of a heart and has a small church on it.  It's popular with foreigners wanting to get married on a Greek island.
The priest, bride and groom and guests are taken over by water taxi with flags flying and greek music blaring.







24 comments:

  1. I had a ‘phase’ a few years ago when I would photograph every bench I came across. Still have some but lost a lot due to a computer ‘error’. Still not happy with The Golfer over that.

    I might start doing that again- it was fun and had me looking for photo opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how simple photo shots can be so pleasing. You'll just have to start a new collection

      Delete
  2. Benches are so inviting. Husband takes pictures of interesting benches just in case he wants to build one some day. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love one in my garden under the lemon trees. Great idea

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Benches are great for watching the world go by

      Delete
  4. Great post. There should be more benches - the city of Barcelona worked out that more people would walk to the shops if there were more benches to stop at on the way back, and people could also sit outside and commune with each other (as you remark about the priest preferred seat). It improves community spaces, as well as providing opportunities for quiet contemplation at great viewing spots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. And well done Barcelona. I know often wish for a bench for walks in other directions.

      Delete
    2. Well said. And well done Barcelona. I know often wish for a bench for walks in other directions.

      Delete
  5. Are there many litter bins on Poros Linda? I see very few of them over here and they are everywhere in the Algarve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few litter bins . Unfortunately up where we live they're always surrounded by household junk that's been dumped. Down in town there are plenty. No excuse for littering

      Delete
  6. You did well walking up there, Not sure I could without resting my knees a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken it slowly, going a little further everyday. Getting stronger!

      Delete
  7. Benches are wonderful, some of yours have spectacular views, you would think the more there are the more people would get out and walk and use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're a new idea here. We do need more

      Delete
  8. Benches are fantastic. But benches with views like that. So very awesome indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of place I would sit longer but I'm feeling guilty about sitting and not walking. Silly really

      Delete
  9. Lovely views from your benches. We could do with some more on our walks. Sat in the welcome sun on our garden bench this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to sit for a few minutes, and then get on with the walking. Though the ones on the waterfront are perfect for people watching

      Delete
  10. Most benches here have brass plaques screwed into the back. They are given by relatives of the departed, in their memory. They often say things such as 'He loved this view', etc. I particularly like the one by the big fat Palm tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I shall mention that to K to mention to the Mayor!!

      Delete
  11. You have such beautiful views there! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the views out to see and over the olives are wonderful

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't get far as I would have to stop and at every bench.

    ReplyDelete