Monday 15 January 2024

Stuffing

Christmas has come and gone but a good old Sunday roast can be eaten all year round. I thought I'd tell you what I discovered about stuffing. 

 Yes, good old sage and onion stuffing.

For years we ate pork (at the Greek end of the table) and stuffed turkey (down the other end) for Xmas lunch. Alongside a table-full of other edible goodies. .

The turkey was a french one, deep frozen with a pop-up thermometer. Cheap and cheery. All the big supermarkets sold them at that time of the year. 3 euros a kilo. And the turkey was around 3 kilos.  K tried to persuade us to buy a local one, sold with head and feet, nasty black feathers under the wings. No way!!

Seeing them hanging by the neck in the butcher's shop, with drooping naked bodies and horrid yellow thorny toes was enough to put me off turkey for life.


Our french turkey, like an  oversized chook, was stuffed with traditional stuffing, breadcrumbs, lots of onion, a pinch of sage and a little oregano and mint, and maybe an egg. Very nice. And I always made an egg and lemon soup with the carcass.

 But really we all preferred chicken. So chicken it was for a few years . Stuffed the same way. Carcass made into soup.

Once the kids grew up we ventured into new realms. The 'foreign' side of the Greek family did anyway.

Stuffed chicken roll. Deboned chicken stuffed with ham, cheese and peppers. Since then we have stuck with this. Everyone, even a few Greeks, love it. We order it by the kilo ready rolled and stuffed. No fuss, cooks quickly. 

One problem. You can't stuff a chicken roll. 

I discovered Americans made pan stuffing, for some strange reason called dressing. Everyone loves stuffing so I made a large dish full. The first year it was ok, but it got better with every try. Plenty to eat and take home.

This year I discovered the Brits make things called stuffing balls.  I made a few of these to go with the dish of sage and onion dressing. 

They were a huge hit! Next year I'll double the recipe.

The Brits do a roast dinner best. Spuds, crisp on the outside, soft inside. Yorkshire puds.  A good gravy to bind it all together and a few brussel sprouts to give a bit of colour.

We also roast large pieces of orange sweet potato . In our house it's called 'kumara'.  Kumara is the name of the sweet potato brought to NZ by the Maori  a thousand years ago from the Pacific Islands. 

I could buy fresh parsnips from the British shop in Athens but my friend Jan and I are the only ones who have ever eaten a parsnip, and know the taste, so I don't bother. 

Do pigs in blankets go with a traditional roast dinner?  Small sausages wrapped in bacon for the uninitiated.  They appeal to me as an accompaniment but they might be too fussy to put together. 

What else does everyone eat with roast meat?



 

 

30 comments:

  1. I had never heard of stuffing balls, but I looked up the recipe, and they look great! I’m definitely making these next year for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were like savoury meatballs without the meat. The kids lived them

      Delete
    2. Hope you are feeling better. Jan says you manage to contact Covid again poor you really sympathise. Take care

      Delete
    3. All's well now!! Just need a little sunshine to warm the bones

      Delete
  2. Sage and onion stuffing - cooked inside the meat so it is full of meat juice and made at home so it tastes good. The packet stuffing that Brits regularly buy, add water, make into balls or stick in a loaf pan to cut up later (also served in corner cutting pubs) is vile stuff. I discovered that you can stuff a boned chicken if you are determined. Rolling it up is a pain but I put an asterisk of string on the chopping board, lay the boned chicken skin down centred on that, put the stuffing on top, pull the edges up to close it and use the string to tie it up in a round parcel like a segmented cake. Turn it over and roast it. You can slice it of course, or cut it in wedges. I developed this so that I could pot roast it on top of the stove when living in a boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never make packet stuffing. I'm sure it doesn't taste the same. Homemade stuffing is so easy. I'm sure your stuffing in a boned chicken was well worth it. However , I'll stick to doing it in a dish. We always need extra for our crowd.

      Delete
    2. Exactly.. never touch that disgusting dried packet stuff!!

      Delete
  3. I always read the posts about food with interest and pleasure, but unfortunately I don't have an answer to the question. Here we eat everything with roasts, potatoes, stewed vegetables, mashed potatoes and vegetable salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had coleslaw as well. It's a tradition here . And once we used to make mashed potatoes . Mashed potatoes and gravy is delicious

      Delete
  4. Stuffing balls are super easy and cook quickly. I used to make mine with added minced pork and chestnuts as a Christmas treat. Pigs in blankets are also very easy to make and are always more popular than the main event in our house!
    Now you have made me feel hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuffing balls were really easy and a big hit. I'll definitely make them again. I think I'd better try pigs in blankets too.

      Delete
  5. As another alien in Greece....😍.....your Greek/New Zealand/Briish Christmas meals ....and others.....are the best...Created with love and eaten with appreciation.....Good food...good company.....equals perfection....😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good food is essential but without great company a good time is Not had by all. Out Xmas days are always special thanks to English company!!!

      Delete
  6. Mint sauce. Love the stuff with roast beef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did do mint sauce one year. I didn't really like it but I have forgotten how it really tastes. I must make it again. Haven't had roast beef in years. K used to cook it but it was always a bit dry.

      Delete
  7. Yup I can tell you are still a traditional Kiwi. We love Kumara and Potatoes in a roast, think you gotta add peas and gravy too but I've never understood Turkey, it's just not a popular thing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peas. They would be a great addition too. We always used to have peas because my father grew them. Fresh peas, yum.

      Delete
  8. Pumpkin. Skin on or off is delicious with a roast. Also broccoli but don’t overcook it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could get decent pumpkin here. Elli, Jan and I would love it. But what we get is watery squash. Someone brought me proper pumpkin seeds one year and we grew a few but they weren't quite what I remembered. Whoever comes this year can bring more seeds!

      Delete
    2. Don't over cook the broccoli? Lol if its not mushy then k won't try it!
      Mind you at Xmas he has plenty of traditional Greek 'stuff' to fill him up

      Delete
  9. Whatever veg we have in the fridge or garden and always with a tossed salad
    I sometimes will put a bought garlic bread in the oven for the last ten minutes There are no hard and fast rules. And it always all goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn. Forgot the garlic bread. That's a 'must'. This years was a new recipe too. Ready made is hard to find here .

      Delete
  10. My son-in-law is English. I enjoyed Thanksgiving Dinner with them one year (they live in USA) - turkey breast, stuffing balls, roasted potato kumara & pumpkin, oven-baked tomatoes, brussel sprouts, pigs in blankets, gravy, and my daughter has learnt to make awesome Yorkshire Puds! A glass of bubbly - and I didn't have to do anything except admire. Fantastic! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect. Dinner with loved ones and in a foreign country too.

      Delete
  11. I find Parsnips far too sweet., but we did have a roasted Sweet Potato last Sunday with a roast Poussin. For me, almost the best bit of the roasted Turkey is the stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so long since I've ve eaten a parsnip I'm not even sure of it's taste.
      There's a lot of goodness in the stock and the bones make a really good soup. Better than a chook

      Delete
  12. As a vegetarian I don´t eat meat but oh how I would love some parsnips...they are unknown here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them here either. The British shop flies them in from England

      Delete
  13. My grandchildren would tell you that pigs in blankets go with any meal! I'm not sure what has gone on with blogger/google, but they are allowing me to comment on some blogs now, as myself! I feel I should have a little party to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always heaps of roast veg, potato, sweet potato, parsnip and pumpkin, lots of gravy and peas!!

    ReplyDelete