Wednesday 19 July 2023

Cloudy


We haven't been covered by Saharan dust clouds today but something worse, a dense cloud of smoke from the wildfires near Athens.  


The midday sun should be blazing bright and burning in these 2 photos.  I think they say the sun still burns on days like this, whether it's natural cloud or a cloud of smoke or dust.
You just don't feel the burn till it's too late



    Evening gloom at midday

Photos by Poppi

During July and August the roads around us are closed off in the evening and no-one besides residents should be driving around and then only to and fro from home.
 
 Except those going up to eat at Paradise taverna. 

 Smaller roads going into the pine forest are closed with barriers.  
The Navy school, council workers. fire brigade and volunteers patrol all night, and during the day are on fire alert. 

Dozens of houses in areas around Athens have been destroyed. 
 We haven't had a big fire here for some years.  I hope it stays that way for many more years.  Our house is on a dead-end lane.  We could easily be caught like rats in a trap.

Very high temperatures and strong meltemi winds are predicted again for this weekend .  Strong winds fan flames and so many of these out lying areas are  surrounded by pine forests.  Exploding pine cones can carry fire for many metres, across roads and into new areas of dry grass and scrub.

Besides drinking lots of water, keeping cool and looking after the elderly there are all sorts of other instructions popping up.

- Water your garden in the morning not in the evening.  Though this seems to be so you won't disturb the mosquitoes who might have bedded down for a nap.
- Fill up your car after dark.  This is too avoid handling flammable liquids during hours of high temperatures
- Keep shutters closed to keep out sunlight.  I do that and our bedroom is much cooler than the rest of the house where there are no shutters.
- Have a cool shower or put cool water on your skin.  K does this, running under our outdoor shower at regular intervals.  I put my head under the hosepipe today.  It felt marvellous.  I should have thought of it before.  It's all very well for K wearing only a pair of shorts to stand under the shower and then drip dry.  It would mean a change of outfits for me.  Too much trouble
  

What really makes a difference to summer life is getting up early, before the real heat begins, to cook and do any absolutely necessary housework.  I can remember when we lived in an apartment in Piraeus I used to mop the floors at 2 oclock in the morning.  Marble floors, which were always deliciously cold.  I often slept on those marble tiles with only a sheet under me and a pillow for my head.  But then I could sleep anywhere without any trouble.






23 comments:

  1. We saw on the news about the fires. Our hearts break for you all. Fire strikes terror in our hearts.
    Hope and pray you all stay safe and the heat breaks soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had those horrific fires last summer or the one before. I remember the photos of your skies and sunsets. Poros is lucky, so far. We've had a few close to us, in years gone by, but they have been put out quickly.

      Delete
  2. We don't get the fires news so much here in UK but were wondering when the season would start given all that heat and dryness. We hope you stay safe and that there are no more fires (anywhere) but particularly not on Poros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always know that there will be fires when these high summer winds start. It doesn't need much for a spark to become an inferno. Most of them seem to have been deliberately lit alas

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a very trying and tiring time, having to cope with heat and also worrying about fires. Keep cool and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always very aware of odd clouds in the sky and the smell of smoke. So far so good here. The heat gets worse as I get older, it seems. Just harder to take I suppose.

      Delete
  4. That all sounds quite exhausting for everyone. I shall have to stop moaning about our weather now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just in my normal July and August zombi mode. Too hot and too many people. This too shall pass

      Delete
  5. I don't know anything about fires in Greece so it is news for me to come here and read, I mean get the news. How different lives are. I was thinking about that the other night when I think of Syria, and we don't hear about the earthquake now, and then other places have problems and all people in England do is moan about the weather or politicians. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syria is even off our map though I do think about those millions of refugees , in Greece, Syria, Turkey or the rest of the world where they all live in such miserable camps in heat and snow.
      Turkey is continuing with it's Cheshire smile. Erdogan got reelected, now he wants the rest

      Delete
  6. It's staying around 30 C here in the afternoons. Not too bad. Bed covers have been abandoned, and clothes are minimal. Shoes are worn only if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30o would be my ideal temperature for summer. Enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. We have so many fires every year but this year is particularly bad. I think the fires in Greece are much worse than usual as well, from what we've been hearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do not get any worse. No one has been killed but so many houses destroyed.

      Delete
  8. Hello, may be you can tell Cro on his blog that the song Les petits chanteurs d'Asniers are performing have the original melody but the text has of course been changed. Gainsbourg's song was " je suis venu te dire adieu".Mr. Cro makes from time to time big mistakes concerning French life and traditions. Gainsbourg composed wonderful songs not concerning "sex" as Cro confirms. I have no google account so cannot make comments on his blog. I like your blog and comments very much. Take care in the heat of your island.
    Greetings Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of them and know nothing about them. Except they are obviously loved by the French.
      Thanks Hannah. Maybe Cro will see your comment here

      Delete
  9. Following on the news where the wildfires are horrendous and hopefully they will be able to control them despite the surreal heat.
    It's all so very worrying, tornadoes in places unheard of before late.
    Stay cool dear friend, I shall keep you in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. As if the heat isn't bad enough! I do hope those fires are soon put out, so frightening for the people involved. Hugz (virtual hugz - too hot for the real thing) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been very hot here too ~ it seems the heat wave travels the globe. I have to bake 4 loaves of prosphora tomorrow, so I'm getting up a 5am to do it so that I'm done by 10. All my other bread baking is temporarily suspended until this awful heat is done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I forgot to put in the name and URL on the comment!

      Delete