Monday 17 July 2023

Goats and Food

 I'm taking July a day at a time.

The heat goes on and on. 

Yesterday was brutal, today there's a breeze. The Meltemi has started blowing. It brings slight relief . 

High temperatures are predicted for another week at least. What's considered a high temperature? I would say anything over 38oC.

Mid 30s are typical till the end of August.


The wild goats, a herd of 30 or 40, roam in search of water every night.  There's plenty of water bubbling out of the ashphalt but they, along with stray cats, dogs and weasels, drink  our small offering in a bucket as well. The bucket is empty by morning.


There are 5 million goats in Greece I read. Traditional people love the meat, roasted with lemon potatoes, or on the spit, and the cheese and milk.  Feta is made from either goat or sheep milk.  Goat milk feta tends to have a milder taste.  So 'they' say.

Traditional people eat the head, suck the teeth, and pretend to delight in crunching the eyeballs when they have a suitable audience.  The feet are made into soup along with some of the innards.  Nothing is wasted.

This herd of goats is safe though, from us.  K does not shoot or hunt.  Our neighbour shoots however, at anything foolish enough to stray onto his property.

Even with this heat K still wants to eat as normal, though we usually only have one main meal, late in the evening.

We ate fish soup for 3 days. Boiled Scorpion fish which have nasty spines. The fisherman scaled and gutted them .  Fish soup may not seem like an ideal summer meal but we don't eat it hot. It's quite light, the juice of the fish, lemon juice and oil. Sometimes I add rice as well and it has zucchini, carrots, celery and potato boiled with the fish. 

Today I have boiled some  mutton. Again it doesn't sound like an ideal dish in this heat.  But we eat it cold, with those Greek staples olive oil and lemon juice. Potatoes and zucchini were cooked in the sauce. 

Hopefully K will eat that for 2 or 3 days . I'll eat a little bit of that meat but  boiled eggs, cheese and salad are more to my taste.




One evening last week at our local tavern, Paradise

K is eating a huge plate of spaghetti with rooster stewed in tomatoes.  We are not shy about asking them to put the leftovers in a packet.  That was another meal for K

We do eat a lot of vegetable meals too. Stuffed whatever, ratatouille, stewed aubergines, green beans and potatoes, boiled greens, peas and tomatoes, giant dried beans, fava and naturally greek salad with everything.








24 comments:

  1. Although it is currently cool, damp and very windy here, I would not want your southern Europe temperatures at the moment. It would finish me off for good! I am so unused to the heat I don't know how I would cope.
    I do like goat meat stew, but I would definitely not contemplate eating those "extras"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with a bit of cool and damp . I've got plenty of damp, the drops are dripping down my face but it's sure not because of the cool.
      Goat curry would be nice. But it's not traditional dammit

      Delete
  2. Chicken curry for me tonight, with a pink lentil dhal. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink lentils. I have seen those but yellow is normal here.
      About time to make some dhal, what they call fava here

      Delete
  3. Boiled eggs, cheese and salad please for this vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far better food! Though I eat mainly an animal based diet there is a limit, especially in this heat.

      Delete
  4. I'm intrigued by these wandering wild goats. Do people complain about them coming onto their properties? Are people allowed to butcher them for their own meat? Are they just goats that escaped from someone's herd? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goats have been roaming this area for over 5 years . I think the original herd were just a handful which escaped from a nearby goat herder but they have been multiplying. Some of them have been captured and quite a few shot but there's still a lot of them left. They roam in small groups usually but now and again we see the larger herd. Big billy goats with huge horns, females and there are always a group of youngsters too.
      You're not supposed to butcher them. Hunting is illegal on the island but all our neighbours have guns and they'll use them to protect their olive trees or gardens. The goats do a lot of damage and are good at pulling down fences and jumping walls. Theyre not at all popular and we, and others, have complained to the council and the police. Fat lot of good that does.
      There are springs in the hills around us and down by the beach so they get plenty of water. They love the municipal water though that comes through those broken pipes

      Delete
  5. The heat wave continues here as well. Instead of goats there are many wild boars in many places. Fortunately, only a few came here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Across on the mainland wild boars are a huge problem this year. That's why all our neighbours have guns. They go hunting wild boar over there. The boars are worse than goats, they break down walls and fences, dig out young trees and completely destroy gardens and orchards

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of goat, but then I've never had it cooked Greek style ~ maybe I would like it! I will try when I travel. A friend of mine from church is interested in coming with me. They sure sound like a nuisance though!
    Wild boars are an epidemic in Texas and other states, but not so much here as yet, probably too dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roast goat is very much like lamb. Excellent with lemon and thyme potatoes. Come and try it!

      Delete
  7. My goodness your heat is extreme. We had one or two days a year of that but weeks and weeks would be way too much for us. I, the Tigger, lived on tuna flavoured ice cubes, and F ate Xoriatiki most days - it was too hot for anything else for us. We can't imagine even lighting the stove to boil the mutton - even if you do eat it cold. A bit of sea in the shade of a tree might be the place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A swim in the sea cools the body right down but you need to stay until the sun goes down.
      Cooking anything is a chore but it has to be done or I have an irritable companion
      Wish I could feed him tuna flavoured icecubes!

      Delete
  8. Haha to the crunchy eyeballs! Reminds me of my dad who loved to terrify his children munching on fish eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men, they're the same all over the world lol

      Delete
  9. The eyeballs brought back memories for me as well. When we moved to the Far North I worked for the company that ran the trips up 90 Mile Beach. We were based at the garage and had our morning tea with the mechanics. One of them used to bring in a sheep's head and always tried to persuade me to eat the eyeballs. (without success). With that heat I wouldn't stray from the aircon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the beach isn't a draw although the water is cool -er

      Delete
  10. I like feta made from goat and sheep milk much better then feta made from cows milk. It’s so much smoother.
    I feel for you in that hear. Cooking would make it much hotter I house. Definitely an outside kitchen would be much more user friendly.
    I hope you all get some real relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have an outdoor gas stove and oven but it's just as bad there. I cook very early morning or evening

      Delete
  11. Crunch on eyeballs?? Oh dear!! I too like feta made from goats and sheeps milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feta can be very good or indifferent. K chases the best from store to store.

      Delete
  12. Maybe I"m too much of a kiwi, I can't imagine crunching on eyeballs but Maori people in their culture love fish heads and eyes so there must be something positive about it. Hope you're enjoying your Summer, feta cheese is great to go with a Greek salad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. greeks and Maoris are very similar, in their outlook on life and their food choices.
    Feta is best with greek salad. Or in a pie!

    ReplyDelete