Thursday 22 December 2022

Xmas Trimmings

 Xmas preparation is well underway. I've made 4 Christmas cakes. I call them Xmas cakes but they're really just fruit cakes, the ones where you boil the fruit. Easy and delicious. I add lots of dried fruit, figs  soaked in raki, preserved cherries, dates, whatever I can lay my hands on. Then I douse them all liberally in some sort the f alcohol.


Paté has been made and given away, except for a small pot for us.


Chicken livers . 
Cutting these up is not my favourite job.  They come attached to hearts and kidneys. I fry those up and use them in an omelette.
Then I wash my hands really well! Can't stand the smell.


The finished product was tasty this year. I don't always like it. There was plenty of bacon and whisky in it.
Whisky has been poured liberally into quite a few Xmas recipes


The supermarket is full of exotic goodies. One of them were these blackberries. I have never ever seen blackberries on sale here and I certainly won't be buying these for over 7 euros for  few hundred grams.


I made four Xmas cakes. Three of them are for giving away.


Almost half a bottle of Grants Whisky was poured over these.   I haven't tried any of the Xmas sweets, English or Greek because I've cut sugar out of my life.
So far so good.





16 comments:

  1. I like the sound of all that whiskey :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives the cake just a bit of extra ooomph. I tried a wee corner. Yum

      Delete
  2. I'm sure everything is very tasty. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yael. All the best to you and your family

      Delete
  3. All that alcohol Will surely keep you nice and warm I can’t believe the blackberries. Plant a few and they will soon overtake everything and you can have all the berries you want

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen wild blackberries either . There were strawberries and raspberries too. All helluva expensive. My daughter said she saw the foreigners buying them . The Greeks don't even know what they are

      Delete
  4. Whisky and berries. A match made in heaven. I sometimes make a pudding for visitors with oats and whisky soaked berry fruits and some thick cream stirred through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, almost, make me want to buy some. Damn, soaked in whisky with thick cream stirred through. Drool!

      Delete
  5. You can never have enough whisky in a Christmas cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If we had another bottle I would have used more. Didn't want the wrath of 'god' to descend upon me

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The cake is rather good though I only tried a wee corner

      Delete
  7. I sometimes buy blueberries at the supermarket as they're considered superfood. The price is, however, super ..high!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We broached our cake yesterday. It was shop bought (M & S) then liberally anointed with Cognac. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect. I prefer cognac but I use what we've got. Whisky is better than raki!

      Delete