Wednesday 21 December 2022

Memories of Xmas Past

 Christmas cards are a thing of the past.  This year I sent four. To England. Ones sent to NZ don't arrive till February. I have received one and maybe I'll get another two. 


But I have saved cards from years gone by. I hang up a few strings of these old cards although I'm told by my English friend it's cheating and not quite British. I like the old cards. They're jolly with robins and sleighs and children carolling.  And if I look inside I find greetings from friends often forgotten or no longer around.


This string is from grandchildren, some homemade, most with a sweet message 


And these cards are from NZ with Santa's in shorts or arriving on a surfboard, the native pohutakawa tree bursting with red blossoms and greetings in Maori



These are permanent decorations, angels and roosters, good to go for Xmas or Easter 






And the very old Happy Birthday sign.  The kids tried to take it down when they put up the greenery. The tacks wouldn't come out. Must have been up there for over ten years and seems to have become a permanent fixture.
It's always someone's birthday around here anyway





16 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity and beauty of your decorations. You can feel the joy of life and your strong family spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yael. You can feel the love in each piece there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I put those two strings together . I love looking at the cards.

      Delete
  3. I don’t put them out on display but there are cards tucked away that surface now and again (bookmarks??) Reminders of people past and present.
    And yes, as Yael mentioned your links to your family are evident and enviable to some.

    Merry Christmas Linda to you and all your family - life on Poros certainly changed for the locals when you came to live with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and your family Cathy. I do hope the sun shines for you!!
      As for Poros....hmm, once a foreigner, always a foreigner but they e got used to me now!

      Delete
  4. I love how you keep things up. It’s nice to keep the cheer going year round. I guess if it’s not someone’s birthday it would be a name day and that’s kinda the same thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it Angela. You know these Greeks. Always some reason to celebrate

      Delete
  5. Lovely. I still send quite a few Christmas cards to people without internet. I also have just a few old cards - one from my late father and one from my late mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have got my act together and sent some cards to NZ way back at the beginning of November. I'll have to write them all a letter though the last one I sent to my brother took 3 months! Rather old news by then

      Delete
  6. We have received just 4 cards. With the postal workers on strike here, I expect there'll be even fewer in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed I even found cards. The ones in the bookshop here are wildly expensive. Another reason not to send them

      Delete
  7. If people wrote their Christmas card messages in pencil. We could rub them out and send them back next year. I am joking.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad idea, around here where they're a bit of a novelty

      Delete
  8. Miranda Gillespie22 December 2022 at 16:23

    Hi Linda, lovely to read your Blog! I'm Belinda McLean's daughter and wanted to get in touch with you as Mum used to forward your posts quite a bit and I always found them so interesting. My daughter is travelling to Europe next year and is thinking of visiting Greece, I thought it would be such a nice connection if she could visit your corner! My email address is mirandarin@yahoo.co.uk if you're able to drop me a line :)
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've saved my Christmas cards from over fifty years ago. Many of my relatives and friends are now sadly passed, reading those handwritten sentiments brings them close to me, especially at Christmas time. I love your cards hanging on the string line, precious and personal.
    Wishing you and yours
    a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year dear friend.
    From a cold and snowy Tennessee hugs,
    Jo
    Xx

    ReplyDelete