Saturday 6 November 2021

Fruits of the Fields

 Fruit from our neighbour and goat from a friend



Some of a big bag of pomegranates and quince hung on our front gate by our generous neighbour.  I'm cleaning and pureeing the quince.  Quite a job.  Quince are so tough.  I peel them with a peeler, cut them in half and boil them for 10 minutes.  This softens them slightly so I can core and slice them.  The puree goes into the freezer in small quantities and I use it in cakes, meat dishes and add it to my oatmeal.  Other quinces I may slice finely and make into preserves.  My husband enjoys a few spoons of the quince preserve sometimes after a meal.

I'm cleaning one pomegranate a day and eating that by the spoonful.  Fresh cool pomegranate seeds are refreshing and full of flavour



For tea today. Boiled goat. But not for me




Vegetables, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes and zucchini, are boiled in the liquid left from the meat.  Then the juice is topped up, rice added along with lots of lemon juice and  turned into soup.  K and his friends love boiled goat soup.  They are gathering for a feast tonight.

Thank goodness we have a dishwasher for those fatty plates



16 comments:

  1. 'Boiled Goat' doesn't sound too appetising; I would have thought you'd treat it like Lamb. Spit roasted, it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's elderly goat, like mutton. Needs to be boiled for a few hours but it's a speciality.

      Delete
  2. I don’t think boiled goat would be something I’d eat.
    But I guess it’s like a lamb soup
    I do like it on a spit roast
    Enjoy the company don’t work too hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goat is preferred by many here. It's got less fat for a start. You just have to know where it's called Ming from. it can smell of old goat.
      But at Easter a roasted goat can be tastier than lamb

      Delete
    2. Called Ming....laughing out loud. Coming from, was what should have appeared

      Delete
  3. Boiled goat appeared on every menu we saw in north Greece. Even the name doesn't appeal, but in Papigo I had a veal version of the same thing (probably neck chops) and it wasn't half bad actually. With goat, its the ming that gets those who have not eaten it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ming gets you every time unless you're a dedicated Greek. I do sample the meat with lots of salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mostly I pretend I'm a vegan

      Delete
  4. Ming was right first time! It certainly has an interesting aroma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I try it, sometimes I like it. Mostly I avoid it. The ming thing can be very overpowering. Sometimes, as I told Tigger, it's better to be vegan. Though you get more flak for that than for not eating goat.

      Delete
  5. I’ll willingly take your pomegranates (as many as you can spare) but will leave the goat all for you….or your loved ones, I’m not fussy. Well I am and by the smell of it ‘you can keep your old goat’!
    Pomegranate gives just the right amount of crunch and colour sprinkled on top of a green salad

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always take us on your Greek adventures with your food and drink posts LA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of food adventures here that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only tried goat once and sadly it was tough as old boots, maybe it was the way it had been cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I doubt I would ever enjoy goat. The only time I had lamb stew, I really felt sick after a few bites. My husband likes quince (a bit, on toast), and I love pomegranate. Our church brought some truly huge ones from a monastery in Arizona. They were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post, and hope to read more. thank you so much for sharing this informative blog.
    Live Football_បាល់ផ្សាយបន្តផ្ទាល់

    ReplyDelete