Sunday 21 March 2021

Roses and Vines

 Over the last few weeks I have pruned the roses and our various grape vines .  The new growth has already begun.


This is our neighbours vineyard.  The weeds have been whacked and the straggly growth removed.  There are many small parcels of vines in our area.  The grapes are local varieties, white and red.  The grapes they produce are picked and juiced by hand, and foot, and give the family a few hundred litres of wine, just enough to get them through the year.  Some of the larger vineyards give them enough wine to sell as well.  The locals love to drink local wine.  They know where it has come from, how far it has travelled ( a few hundred metres), what has been put into the barrel besides the juice (nothing hopefully and certainly not sugar), and they know the gossip around the wine.  Who likes it, who doesn't, what is its percentage of alcohol, how early or late the grapes were picked and who made it.


I pruned our grapes this year helped by my grandaughters.  In years gone by various other people have pruned them , and I have done it myself a few times too.  I've learned the basics and really our vines don't seem any different whether done by me or a so-called expert.
New growth always appears, as you can see.  The vines grow fast and give us a screen of greenery around the balcony and protect our vegetable garden from the scorching sun


The vines I remove are cut into smaller pieces and after a few months are used on the bbq or in the outdoor woodfired oven


The roses are hit or miss.
I've watched others over the years prune them in various ways.  They produce beautiful roses every year.  Thus is an old fashioned rose.  I'm sure they don't sell these anymore.  Look at the size and the number of those thorns.  It always shoots up to the sky and gives us  dark red velvet like blooms.


14 comments:

  1. What a different life you have, it seems so idyllic. I'm looking out my window and we still have about 2-3 feet of snow on our lawn. We face north so our snow is usually here well into May. Our neighbour across the street, facing south, raked his lawn yesterday! We will definitely get more snow yet though as March and April are our snowiest months. Just saw 2 robins in the tree outside so I guess spring is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very different climate. Hard to imagine March and April as your snowiest months. Keep warm and dream of daffodils

      Delete
  2. I so agree with the local attitude there! "Know all about the wine you drink." Would do us all well, to have that attitude, about everything we put in our mouths.

    It's much easier for you to do so... Since I imagine you do know all about a lot of the fresh produce you buy/grown.

    The 'Old Fashioned Way'! Which is usually, the BEST way. I'm sure your husband would agree!!!!

    🌼🌸🌼🌸🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband very definitely agrees with the old fashioned way. And he just loves have long and deep discussions with his friends over and about the local wines. Or he did.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to be able to grow grape vines. Ours would just rot in our cool damp conditions. Will you be treading the grapes later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did squeeze them by hand, not foot, one year and tried to make a couple of bottles of wine. The result was smelly grape juice. Maybe I should have used my feet instead

      Delete
  4. I’m always amazed when my roses come back every year
    I cut them right back and I’m positive that this is the yeqr I have finally killed them lol
    Very forgiving. Hopefully when my vines grow big enough to prune it will be the same. No death my cutting back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you and your roses. They do come back thankfully . I'm sure I've killed mine as well but something is growing out there

      Delete
  5. It's good to see, in your top photo, that the ground around the vines roots have not been treated with weed killer. So many growers here poison the grass around the roots, and I can only imagine that the chemicals end-up in the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I've never heard of putting weed killer around the vines. That would be a big no-no I imagine. Here there are very proud of their chemical free grapes and wine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that oxalis growing around the rose? Good on you for not using weedkiller LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call it clover but I suppose it is oxalis. It doesn't have a pink bulb though. It is dieing out now will have all shrivelled up by May but in mid winter grows like mad and strangles everything else. That's why I grow winter veges in tyres and a big barrel.

      Delete
  8. Signs of spring are very different where you are! You are now reminding me that I should check out my two rose bushes (yes, only two!). I would love to grow grapes. Maybe this will be the year. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem all that warmer bit the plants know. Everything is budding and Blooming.
      Good luck with the roses and grapes

      Delete