Tuesday 23 March 2021

Tuesday

Thursday is a National Holiday.  It is the commemoration  of the beginning of the war of independence against the ottoman turks in 1821 and it is also a church holiday. On the 25th March the church celebrates the Annunciation when Archangel Gabriel revealed to Mary that she would become the mother of Jesus Christ

2021 celebrates 200 years since the Declaration of Independence and there will be 
 activities throughout the year to commemorate the struggle of the Greek people for their freedom.

We always fly the Greek flag on national holidays.






K puts the flag up our flag pole.




The tradition on 25th March is to eat salt cod with garlic sauce.  The photo shows the salt cod as it is sold in the shops, big fillets covered in salt.  Called bacaliaros here.


The fillets are washed and cut into smaller pieces and covered in fresh water for a couple of days. I change the water 3 or 4 times during the day to get rid of the salt. If it's de-salted properly you actually have to add salt when it's cooked.

The bacaliaros can be made into soup or grilled on the BBQ. I prefer the soup which is made with carrots, celery, olive oil of course and lemon juice.

I will probably fry half of the fillets so we can eat it as tradition dictates with skorthalia, garlic sauce, and beetroot.

I'll keep the rest to make into soup.

18 comments:

  1. But, no celebrations...

    With very tight lockdown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a big parade on Athens, without spectators. Lots of foreign bigwigs coming for a banquet. We will see it all on tv

      Delete
  2. I've seen the salt Cod in Algarve supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm think they eat even more than us. It's good if you get rid of the salt.

      Delete
  3. Salt cod, or baccalao, was very popular in Tenerife although I never tried it. I bet yours tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it next time. It looks as though it's going to taste terrible but is very good. Mind you, like everything, it can be salty and tough. You need a good cook. Like me , spit spit spit

      Delete
  4. I must look out for Greek flags being flown here on the 25th. Do you fly the NZ flag for Waitangi Day? We used to but no flag pole here, a neighbour down the road does though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to always fly the NZ flag but the last one was rather tattered and we chucked it. Time to get another !!

      Delete
  5. Haven’t had that soup since I was married
    But had it heaps growing up. Maybe I’ll get my dad to make it for me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They day we are having chicken soup. It's grey and cold again.
      I really like fish soup

      Delete
  6. We make 'Brandade'; the fish is mashed with potato, garlic, and olive oil. The end product is then used to stuff peppers, etc. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read your recipe and must try it one day. It sounds really good

      Delete
  7. hmm Salt Cod I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I think you'd be hard put to find it down there.

      Delete
  8. Normally our Greek church would have festivities but not so much this year. There were several announcements and commemorations that will go on though. I have never tried salt cod, and would undoubtedly have a hard time finding it...not sure I would have the patience to prepare it, sounds time consuming! Enjoy your celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be services in our biggest church with all important people attending. Do you eat fish on the 25th? Salt cod is the tradition here but you're allowed to eat any sort of fish

      Delete
  9. You have so many special days and special foods etc! I can't think of many days I would do anything different except for perhaps Christmas. You sure have many traditions in your Greek life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit much for me but hubby lives and loves to celebrate them all

      Delete