Tuesday 31 March 2020

Easy Pies

Mince pies, as in minced beef

I have been using this recipe with great success for years and years.  Can't remember where I first found it.  It's easy and always turns out scrumptiously.

Little minced beef tartlets.  I used to call them cornish pasties.  That's what I was trying to make.  They aren't cornish pasties of course but almost.



Mmmmm

1/4 kilo minced meat (raw). You could use beef or pork or chicken 
I use beef because it is the only mince we can get here
1 big potato, grated
1 big onion chopped finely

Add salt and pepper.  Squish all that together really well.
Fill pastry squares.  Seal well and bake in a medium oven for about 30-40 minutes.  Till the pastry is nice and brown.  Eat.

No precooking the mince, no fuss and bother.

I usually make my own pastry.  Crazy pastry my friend Anna used to call it.  But these pies work really well with puff pastry, short pastry and I often use fyllo pastry because it is readily available here and cheap.  Try them all.

Crazy Pastry

- One packet, 250 grams, of margarine or butter, melted
or   I often use olive oil instead because it is what I always have on hand
- one tub, 200 grams, of yoghurt.  Sheep, cows, goats, thick or thin, low fat or full fat
- about 500 grams of self raising flour.  Keep adding flour till you have a nice elastic dough.
- salt
Mix that all together with a spoon, then get your hands in there and knead it a little till you get a smooth ball.
Leave 20 minutes and then roll out into small squares or circles.








27 comments:

  1. Now, those are realllll Mincemeat!!!! And I love the little pockets. Or whatever, but 'pockets' is a way to say it, for me. :-)

    Bet they are delicious!

    Gentle hugs,
    πŸŒΈπŸ’œπŸŒΈπŸ’œπŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are very much like Cornish pasties Linda. The Cornish miners wives use to fill them with what ever leftovers they had. You could make chilli mince pies to spice them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, chilli is a darn good idea. I don't know why I haven't added curry or even parsley. The girls liked them as-is so I never experimented. Thanks Dave

      Delete
  3. I would love to try these with filo pastry. Not sure if our local supermaket has any but I'll have a look.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use filo pastry sometimes when I can't be bothered making my own. They are even better really, lighter

      Delete
  4. The mixture of meats is novel to put it mildly. Any one of these meats would for me make a fine minced up pie. Thank you for sharing your most bizarre cooking Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOps, just changed the instructions a bit. Thanks for pointing that out. You can use any meat you like, one or the other, probably not all together! I use just mince

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of asking has anybody every been ill! I like minced beef pies and they are one of my favorites. I still enjoyed the post. Thanks Linda. I always love your posts. I think we have a similar sense of humour.

      Delete
    3. I couldn't be bothered writing anything interesting today. I have half a dozen recipes for days like this. Do t know why I'm blogging daily now when there's nothing to blog about....except grandchildren and I've overdone them

      Delete
  5. I know a few people around here who would devour those and come back for more. Real home cooking. The pastry recipe really is 'crazy' but I will have a go at making some this coming weekend. Does it stay nice and crisp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the pastry is quite soft. Try filo pastry, or any recipe that you make and like. Grated carrot and peas would also make them go further and be even better. I have just made leek and potato pies with chopped dill and cheese.

      Delete
  6. Looks really good to me, I'll try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use any pastry you want. It's good with any sort and add parsley or grated carrot or anything you have on hand.

      Delete
  7. Nice and simple
    Exactly what I like
    Will definitely give this a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make potato pies too sometimes just with the potato, onion and some cheese or just a mix of herbs. Very goid

      Delete
  8. Those look really good. I'm a bit pastry-challenged, but I think I would like those a lot - a good way to stick whatever you have in there. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about all the times I've made these with different pastry. Some of the best were with store bought puff pastry.

      Delete
  9. These ARE Cornish Pasties in all but shape. Any recipe that makes a small amount of meat go a long way, sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you don't need much meat at all. In days of old ours were more potato and onion. Still good

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stopped being offended by "Anonymous" and I've moved through feeling sorry for him (clearly many issues, has he considered therapy?) and I'm now finding him hilarious. His writing's not terrible, maybe he should consider self publishing fan fiction once this is over?

      Delete
    2. I'm happy thinking that his time will come too. The years pass quickly and he will be dribbling and relying on his poor children And he too shall pass from this world....whether he likes it or not

      Delete