Wednesday 29 November 2023

Home


Tuna on a tile. 


You've seen a similar photo before
Tuna cooked in the oven on a roof tile.
This one is well seasoned.  It has roasted a lot of tuna
Clean the tuna, let the blood drain out.  Stuff the belly and head cavity with lemon slices, garlic and oregano
Bake 40 minutes
Let it cool a bit.  Remove the flesh from the back bone and generously douse with a lemon and olive oil dressing.
Dressing.
  Juice from a couple of lemons, double that amount of olive oil, a little salt, a sprinkle of oregano, a squirt of mustard. 
Put that all in a screw jar and shake well.
Eat.  With a green salad, bread and wine



Spinach pie
spanakopita
Filling ... 
Spinach chopped and sweated, lots of chopped dill and fresh spring onions
One egg
Pepper
Lots of grated or crumbled feta cheese. 
Mix well

Homemade pastry.......
400-450 grams all purpose flour
200 grams water
70 grams olive oil
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsps vinegar
salt
Mix well and knead till soft and elastic
Let it rest 20 minutes and then divide in half.  Roll out each piece for top and bottom of the pie



What the hell
Something has turned my cauliflower and broccoli leaves into lace work.




Gotcha
Half a dozen caterpillars.  White cabbage butterflies?
Boy can they chomp through these plants.
But not any more.



18 comments:

  1. Tuna must be my favourite fish. Shame we can't get locally caught up here!
    Did you squash those pesky caterpillars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to squash them. I threw them over the wall onto the road. They can fight for survival out there.

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering (not for the caterpillars!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are recipes I've made many times . Simple and tasty.
      I hope the birds ate the caterpillars. Damn things

      Delete
  3. Shame we can't get roof tiles like that over here - even the tile must be tasty after that treatment😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got a certain patina. Actually tiles clean easily. Not much smell but Tigger would have appreciated a sniff or two of a tuna tile

      Delete
  4. I have made more than once here from your recipes. Always turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are rather easy. But you do need a roof tile for the fish. Don't know who thought up the idea of cooking on a tile.

      Delete
  5. Yum those spinach pastries are SO good, you can buy them in supermarkets here but I'm sure they aren't the same as home made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite happy eating frozen ones from the supermarket here. Just as good

      Delete
  6. A few years ago I bought myself a 'Fish Kettle'. Have I used it? No, of course not, I should have used a roof tile (of which I have plenty)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fish kettle?? Now that's a new one. I shall have a google

      Delete
  7. Looks very yummy. Shooo don’t tell K. But I use bought puff pasty to make mine these days. So much easier and it all gets eaten.
    I know I’m a bad Greek mamma lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puff pastry would be so darn good!! It's too expensive here though he does let me use frozen Phyllo pastry now and again

      Delete
  8. I have never had tuna cooked that way, it looks delicious! Ugh, those caterpillars deserve to be dogging cars, lol. That’s what I did with my tomato worms ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have realised it was caterpillars doing the damage. The garden was full of white butterflies

      Delete
  9. You can Tuna fish but can you tune a 🎸?

    ReplyDelete