Thursday 2 November 2023

Hear All About It

 Hear the news that is not on  the front page. 

- Greek drama - 

Over the summer 2 turkish tourists were apprehended  for flying a drone over the Navy Base here on Poros.  They ended up in court but it was finally decided that they were indeed ordinary tourists who just happened to come from Turkey and who liked flying drones, not international spies.

There  was a bit of a brouhaha but it was over quickly.  There's nothing to spy on in Poros.  

The central building at the Navy Base is a fine example of  neo-classical architecture but there are no submarines hiding in the shallows, no torpedo boats on stand-by.

- Corfu -

Up over there on the island of Corfu, one of the popular holiday spots for partying Brits, there were some real shenanigans going on.  Kavos, in the south of Corfu, consists of endless bars full of 17-30 years olds drinking and revelling till dawn.  'The Kavos strip' is the place to be after dark.  You had better watch what you're drinking if you're partying there but most party goers probably don't care and any drink is fine as long as it's alcohol.

7 bars were shut down for reselling dregs and unfinished drinks from customers glasses.  The leftover beverages were collected in a barrel and served as shots.  The bars were shut down for 48 hours and fined.  

They were also fined for selling illegal and possibly adulterated alcohol.   

28 places were closed, temporarily, for tax evasion.

They lost a few thousand euros and were open again after two days raking the money back in.


- Sheep on a high -

from 'Greek Reporter'

A herd of sheep in the semi-flooded plain of Thessaly 'invaded' a glasshouse that cultivated medicinal cannabis and ate around 100 kilos of the stuff.  The sheep developed strange behaviour and the shepherd realised they had eaten a large part of the cannabis crop....reports say

The owner of the greenhouse  said ' I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  We had the heatwave and we lost a lot of the crop, we had the floods and we lost almost everything.  Now this.  The herd of sheep ate what was left'.

There was no clarification of 'their strange behaviour' but they didn't suffer any serious damage to their health.

- To burn or not to burn? -

Floating round the web on  blogs and youtube channels I follow is the theory that carnivores, those eating an animal based diet, like me, don't get sunburnt.

Some think it's a myth, some think that people on an animal based diet are less likely to burn and others that they heal faster.

I didn't go swimming till mid-August this year and my legs from the knees up, arms from the elbows up were lilly white.  That goes for my shoulders too.  I spend as little time as I can in the sun.  It's too hot and I hate sunbathing.   I'd rather sit in the shade and read a book.

I didn't get sunburnt  swimming on Poros exposing milk white limbs. However when I was on holiday at the Navy resort I sat in the sun rather a lot. It was late September and I needed to warm up after each swim. I didn't use any sunscreen and my knees got a bit red. The rest of me got tanned .

The sun is strong in summer, and probably if you overdo the exposure you're going to suffer whatever you eat.

November 3rd and it's still hot. No-one sits in the sun. It still burns.





17 comments:

  1. I wish I could say it was hot here. It's been a bit miserable here with wind and rain; some coastal towns have even been flooded, but not here. I would have closed-down any bar caught selling slops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our good weather lasts a while yet. I don't think your storm is coming out way

      Delete

  2. I eat meat. And I burn. I’m the worst olive skinned European ever. I actually blended in with the English in the UK. I’m that white
    It’s still cold here. Temps are way below the normal average for this time of year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got good reason to stay out of the sun then, especially downunder. The English white skins here turn to lobster red but they continue soaking it up.
      Looks very painful

      Delete
  3. After having that melanoma removed two years ago I make sure that no inch of skin is exposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And moved to the Isle of Man where there's little chance of sunburn lol

      Delete
  4. In Ireland it's wind burn. I think we will soon have webbed feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a redhead I burn easily, even when I used to eat meat years ago. I´ve never liked sunbathing but still managed to get a melanoma a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was horrified to read that the bar(s) in Kavos saved the unfinished drinks to sell as shots. That is so disgusting. It sounds like the punishment didn’t last long though ~ kind of makes you wonder how long they’ve been doing that?!!
    But I howled over the sheep getting their freak on by eating all that cannabis. Haha
    When we first moved to New Mexico I had spent a few hours repotting some plants, and was surprised at the sunburn I got on my back and shoulders. If you live at 6,000 ft about sea level, there’s less atmosphere to filter out the rays. Lesson learned, now I wear sunscreen anytime I’m going out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of being served dregs sure is disgusting. I hope they don't do it anywhere else. The bars should have been closed for the rest of the season.

      Delete
  7. what a round up. I recall the 'plane-spotters' case a few years back. Some tourists really can be a bit clueless. As for people partying at Kavos - it simply illustrates an aspect of Corfu that made the place largely unattractive from our point of view. Unattractive exploitation of the tourist trade and extremely unattractive tourists. The sheep story was a good laugh - medicinal of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uneducated people are a true pain in the you know what. I'm sure most countries don't allow anyone to fly drones over private properties or airports.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had a drone over our house here a few times, it is very annoying! I refused to go to Corfu for the reasons you write about, plenty of beautiful places to go and see with out the yahoos! I wonder if the sheep tasted any different?? (If they were to be eaten that is),

    ReplyDelete