Saturday 3 September 2022

A Big-ish Clean-up

 September. We are finally having overseas visitors. An excuse to get rid of a little more rubbish and do a little cleaning.

They've all been here before so they know what sort of house we keep. A rather disorganized one.

But one where you won't go hungry.


Yard work and removing big rubbish always seems so much easier to me.  Instant rewards.  Whereas I'm the only one who is going to notice if the furniture is dusted or the floors are cleaned.  Or there are smudges on the cabinet doors, or the windows are clean, or the doors need scrubbing after pouring rain and red saharan dust, or, or .  In fact if all those jobs got finished I think anyone entering would notice a shine.  The biggest indoor job is going to be taking down all the pictures and plaques around the fireplace and cleaning the soot off the wall before we start this winter's fires and smudge it again.  That's what I hate,  it all gets dirty again.  All our windows and doors are open 24 hours a day still, with bug screens.  The dust floats gaily in settling all over the room in a nice thick coating.  Spider webs can be removed but the spiders are still here and more webs will appear overnight.


So, to outdoors.


We needed all the help we could get. Yes, that's Another washing machine to be removed from our back yard




Still a bit of cleaning to be done here but big rubbish has been removed A young lad fits a very large fan. All ready to cool us down when we have a family gathering.  We won't be bbq-ing because there is still a fire hazard but the outdoor cooker and gas grill will be fired up.


Another 'mastora', as in a whizz at fixing motorbikes, and second cousin once removed, had a look at my quad bike. It has been out of action for a month. The lights went out one night coming back up the mountain. Not a good time for bike lights to fuse. K on his motorbike drove alongside me to light the way and I turned on the flash so others could see me .
The road was damn dark but mostly empty.
I'm over the quad bike and would quite happily just use the car but the boss has decided that it must be fixed.




Consultation


This carpet should have been cleaned and stored for the summer but it's huge and it got left, folded up outside.  Now it's finally cleaning time


In amongst the folds were a dozen or more of these wasp nests.
They are made by a wasp with dangly legs which here is called the 'builder wasp'.
They come away easily but leave a muddy mess.  The carpet had to be scrubbed back and front.  It's cleaned and dried now and put away in it's protective bag.  

And now what is left to be done is for K to bundle up all his tools and fill up another rubbish bag with old rubbish bags, empty oil cans and the like so I can wash down the tiles and clean all the outdoor chairs in time for our welcome meal for the first family visitors from Downunder.





19 comments:

  1. A busy time but something to look forward to at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is that over the summer it's too darn hot to do a lot of work and it's just been left. Having visitors makes us start the clean up. I've just done a bit of yard work and tomorrow I'll do some dusting. Floors are clean. I'll be so happy to see a bright clear home. Very good for my peace of mind

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how much cleaning up can get done when visitors are coming. Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gives you, me anyway, that little extra push.

      Delete
  3. We have a huge clean to do outside once all this rain goes away. So much mud and dust and mud and spiderwebs oh and mud
    I think there is a theme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about exact opposites. Most of My, front, garden is just dust and dried up nasturtium stalks. I've decided now to gout and gather up all those stalks. I usually leave them and they disappear under the new growth. But I want it all Clean

      Delete
  4. Wow, so exciting to finally be having visitors from 'the old homeland' again. And what a great incentive to clean things up! Enjoy your clean home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been 3 years . The last visitors were in 2019. Long time

      Delete
  5. I wish I had to do a clean up for my visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're far too busy enjoying yourself listening to music and exploring, and dividing plants

      Delete
  6. You lucky thing you, family from Downunder. We hope you all have a fabulous time and really enjoy the space you have renewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all got renewed back after Easter. We take so much rubbish away but it seems we are a magnet for the stuff. And I need a window cleaner! Hate that job

      Delete
  7. I hate those earthen wasp's nests, we find them everywhere; mostly in our unworn clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure get into everything. I often find them in the folds of curtains and k had his air pressure thing blocked by their nests. They're a real nuisance

      Delete
  8. I hope you enjoy having your guests there and the cooler temperatures. I can't stand a sterile house, I prefer one that's clean and tidy but still lived in, makes for a more relaxed atmosphere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's how I usually describe my house, as 'lived in'. I don't intend to spend much time deep cleaning!! Actually deep cleaning is a foreign phrase. It sure aint one I understand 🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
  9. Always good to have a big clean out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got rid of a bit of dust and got rid of lots of rubbish...emphasis on the rubbish!!

      Delete
  10. I sympathize...we have a collection of large rubbish (i.e. old grill, fountain, etc) that is waiting for us to figure out how to get it out. Neither of us has a truck, although I know people that do.

    ReplyDelete