Saturday 29 January 2022

Greek Potatoes

 My greek sister-in-law makes the best roast potatoes but don't tell my husband that.  Mine never turn out quite like theirs, even after 45 years.  Being a local-alien I  use less lemon juice and certainly less olive oil.  The greek family just love lemon juice and they can never have too much.  A fresh lemon, sorry, fresh lemon-s, are squeezed over everything from a green salad to fried potatoes.  On the other hand the kiwi side of the family want just a hint of lemon, and we put ketchup on our fries.


First peel and cut your potatoes lengthwise, long wedges.  I par boil mine for 10 minutes especially when I'm cooking them with chicken.  They roast quicker and brown easier.  However, my greek husband and his sister would never do that.  They are traditional people and do as their Mama did.


These are the other ingredients.  Measures are to your taste.  I just eyeball them.  (No, I do NOT mean that we cook eyeballs with them JC.  But we could)


Place the potatoes in your baking dish.  

Drizzle with a good olive oil.  You'll be adding more later. 

Sprinkle over them 3 or 4 cloves of chopped garlic

 a tsp or more of dried oregano

 a few twigs of fresh thyme

 a squeeze of mustard

 and salt. 

 Get your hands in there and mix it all up, massaging the potatoes and distributing the herbs.  Add a cup of hot water or some kind of stock.  I use a stock cube mixed with hot water because that's what is on hand.


Now for the lemon juice.  Squeeze a lemon over the potatoes.  I have preserved lemons and always forget to use them.  I will next time and see how it tastes.  Don't overdo the lemon unless you're Greek.  A little zest will give more flavour too without the acidity.


Grind some fresh pepper over the potatoes and pour more olive oil over the whole lot.  Say a small wine glass. 


Cook about an hour at 200oC till golden brown.    After the first half hour take the dish out and turn them gently just to get them brown on all sides.  


My sister-in-law does not worry about browning her potatoes.   She wants them soft with plenty of oil and they are wonderful!



Her potatoes look like this




This is more or less how mine come out of the oven.

Kali Orexi 



20 comments:

  1. Sounds great to me
    . I'll try it tomorrow. I never put a lemon in a potato. There's always a first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's not my favourite but a little bit is ok

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds amazing. All I would say is substitute the salt for sea salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I prefer mine crispy rather than soft so your method sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both, preferably cooked by someone else

      Delete
  4. These look delicious. I'm skeptical about all the liquid and oil but I am deferring to your (and your sister-in-law's) expertise.
    I think I will make these today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure they don't all stick to the pan and you lose half your potatoes. Good luck

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this. I will give them a try soon! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds wonderful, I think I would prefer yours with less olive oil, but them I am a Kiwi not Greek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen how much my m-in-law used!

      Delete
  7. I don’t mind either way. More oil less oil. Browned not browned. I’m an Aussie Greek so I’ll eat them anyway they come lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo!! As I said above, my preference is for those cooked by someone else, preferably my sis in law 😁

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for the lemon recipe.....I am going to try this out.....yep....I am not so Greek that I would want my potatoes swimming in oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they're good and tasty. You certainly don't need as much oil as my Greek family use. They grew up almost living on it

      Delete
  9. That sounds exactly how I cook my Kleftiko, but I add lumps of Breast of Lamb too! Totally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get K to make some kleftiko. You have mentioned it a few times. Haven't eaten it in years

      Delete
  10. I prefer to partly boil potatoes for roasting too but no matter how much I try I can never make roast potatoes like my mother. Btw I don't know if you saw my comment on your instagram, but Nat the bat is one of my cousins, she lived in Greece for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Nat. I had forgotten she was your cousin though. 😃😃

      Delete