Tuesday 4 January 2022

How Greek Are You?

This my revised version of the quiz posted on 

greekreporter.com where I find much of the Greek news in English.

https://greekreporter.com/2021/08/22/how-greek-are-you-quiz/  


The article has been written by a greek, Kerry Kolasa-Sikiaridi.  Takes a greek to know a greek though I think some of these traits are found in the Italians and other countries round the med too.


1. Is eating a way of life for you.  God bless him, my traditional person is a true full blooded Greek.  You live to eat not that namby pamby way the west lives, eating to live.  You miss out on all that intense  joy that accompanies any food or drink.  Savouring, discussing and arguing over the dish while relishing every bite.  You eat with your company whether you've just partaken of lunch or not.  You eat with your family because you must.  Look at me.  I wouldn't be overweight if I ate what I wanted and when I wanted it.  You eat with others because it's polite and it's part of the days entertainment.


2. Do you believe paying cash ensures a discount.  Clever girl Kerry.  You're a true greek.  'Cash is king in Greece', she says.  Most people do not like cards either to pay with or be paid by.  You pay cash you get a bargain.  Often still I'm asked when producing a card 'Don't you have cash'?  Or I apologise and say 'sorry I only have a card, no cash just now'.  Of course a bank card means that the transaction is recorded and someone has to pay tax on it eventually.

But a Greek likes to barter and a discount for cash is a bargain not to be missed.  My traditional greek will barter on anything, even a handful of screws.


3. What was in your lunch box when you were a kid?  A sandwich, piece of fruit or a salad is not a meal, does not fill a tummy and any Greek Mama knows that .    As Kerry says ' if you've been sent to school with dolmathes (stuffed vine leaves) or a huge honking piece of moussaka then you're greek'.


4. Do you think spitting is good?  You can be spit on here for good luck, or spit on yourself even, though its mostly just a symbolic ftoo ftoo ftoo. Three times to get rid of the evil eye or to protect yourself from a blue eyed devil.


5.  Are you wary of the evil eye?  Most everyone still believes in the evil eye which is usually cast on you through envy or jealously.  Our girls will now and again phone their father when they are not feeling well so he can do his heeby-jeeby thing and remove the curse.  If you're feeling dizzy, have a headache or yawn a lot then you may be under the spell.  You can remove it yourself by crossing your arms with your hands under your armpits and saying the Lords Prayer 3 times.  Then spit on yourself and shake yourself about.


6.  How many people do you know named Eleni, Maria, Kostas, Yiannis, or Dimitris.  These are family names and have been passed on down from Grandfather or Grandmother for generations.  My K has three cousins with exactly the same name.  They are differentiated by the name of their father and mother.  No middle name here.  He is KT son of George and Eleni.


7. Do you celebrate your name day?  Most greeks are named for Saints and celebrate their name day on the Fiesta of that Saint. Name Days are far more important than birthdays.  Very few besides you and your mother know when your birthday is and if you have a party then you invite only those you want to come.  On a name day you can't hide away.  Everyone knows your name and will stop you on the street and phone you to say Kronia Polla, Many returns.  You're expected to have open house and anyone that wants will arrive with a small gift and expect a sweet and a glass of whisky or a full blown feast.


We used to have half of Poros traipsing through our house on K's name day and he got enough bottles of whisky to set him up till his name day the following year.  Times have changed however, we no longer have a goat and a pig on the spit and the party does not go on till the small hours.  Things started to change with the economic crisis in 2012 and then this virus hit these huge celebrations on the head.  Now on his name day only close family and friends will actually come to the house and though they will always be fed in our house there will only be an oven tray of pork and potatoes, a greek salad and tzatziki with plenty of local wine and tsipouro (raki, grappa)


There's more of course to being a true Greek. I'll post more one day

20 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! I recall you've spat on me (virtually) for some good reason or other!! I am, unfortunately, not very Greek, apart from really liking food. :) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was for your own good I spat on you! I was probably envious of some of your food lol

      Delete
  2. I love the last paragraph Linda. You certainly knew how to party. I hope those days return again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no. everyone around here still has that love of life, and food. They don't need to all turn up at our house to prove it lol

      Delete
  3. What about all those Greeks with ancient names like Pericles or Themistocles, and my grape seller who said her name was Melba or Melva (I wasn't exactly sure) but she assured me that it predated Christianity and there is no name day for it. Eating - understood. Spitting - not so much. Payment by card changing dramatically in time of COVID, and people who insist on cash suddenly change their mind when I say "sorry have no cash only card - I'll buy this somewhere else". Lunch boxes? You grew up on a NZ farm - did you live on boiled eggs and cold mutton too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to mention those names but was writing too much. Aphrodite, Socrates and Agamemnon, to mention just a few have all been orthodox-ised. There are saints or 'Osious' , those canonised, with the name of the mythical character. The church has been very clever.
      My daughter is named Danae, she has her name day on 26th October along with Dimitra. There are few who don't have name days but they can celebrate on All Saints.
      If you insist you can always pay with a card but they'll often suggest cash. Cards are slowly taking over, much slower here than in the city

      Delete
  4. That was fascinating Linda. I love how each country has its own culture and traditions, and it is always interesting to hear about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are a little different in New Zealand 😁

      Delete
  5. It made me laugh reading this Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post, I have heard of a few of these things from some Greeks we know here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Greeks everywhere have these beliefs!

      Delete
    2. OI have just found your comments on my blog Linda, for some reason they are not coming to my emails, just wanted to say thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I didn’t know you could take the mati off yourself. I usually ring my mum or my aunt lol
    We no longer do names days either. Although it used to be big with my dad being Emmanuel and then my cousin Bill made Christmas and New Years very festive

    Thank you so very very much for my card. It came today so still in the 12 days of Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken the eye off me several times this way. Even though I don't really believe it all I still get struck down. It works though Ks way is stronger.

      Delete
  8. Those big celebrations WILL return, and we'll all shake hands and kiss again. Give it another year or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will surely kiss and hug here again but the economic crisis really did put the end to the big celebrations, in our house at least .

      Delete
  9. This was fun/interesting to read. Number 7 confirms what my Nouna told me (she's married 50 years now to a born-and-raised-in-Greece Greek) about name days being much more important than birthdays.

    ReplyDelete