Tuesday 10 November 2020

Conger Eel for Tea

 Fish soup for supper  but not your  gourmet bouillabaisse.  We are quite often given gifts of odd foodstuffs.  A pig's head, stingray, a moray eel or this time a conger eel.  Mougri in greek.  The google translation is conger eel.  It was certainly a sort of large sea eel with  some ferocious teeth.  K loves these opportunities to eat as his traditional ancestors once did.


Being mid-summer, very hot and with me in zombi mode it went straight into the deep freeze.


The eel finally came out a few days ago, deep and very solidly frozen.  It was far too much for us to consume even over a few days so K took to it with the saw.



This fish can be sliced and fried, baked on the BBQ or turned into a traditional greek soup.  It's easy to clean, has no scales and it's bones are big and therefore can be easily removed before they go down your throat.
As you can see in the photo, there are lots of juicy, fishy steaks.

After about one third of it had been chopped up and defrosted I made the soup.

A greek fish soup is made by boiling the fish and then cooking carrots, celery, onions, potatoes and zucchini in the broth.  At the end I fished out the vegetables and added a handful of rice, lots of lemon juice and olive oil.

It was a good feed







27 comments:

  1. It looks great and sounds good. I could eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really healthy, not sure I could eat it though maybe if I hadn't seen the head! Silly huh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband deals with the head. I've got used to it on his plate. There isn't much left at the end

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious. I often made fish soup when Max and I lived in the Far North.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a soup I enjoy and has a few variations

      Delete
  4. I tried smoked eel once and it was tasty but very fatty. Your soup sounds really interesting and I think I would give it a cautious try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the other eels are quite fatty. This one is not thank goodness

      Delete
  5. Conger Eel is very good. As you say, very meaty and with large prominent bones. I think I ate it fried, it was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good lightly fried with a little lemon, or on the barbie

      Delete
  6. Not something you can buy in the regular fish shops either. I expect when fishers catch something like that it goes to a 'good home'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, but he is a big, ugly fellow. Hope he tastes better than he looks 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tasty and not too fishy

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. Give it to me, but don't tell me what it is until later :-)

      Delete
  8. Looks good. So simple to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These fish soups with vegetables and lemon juice and rice are really tasty

      Delete
  9. Don't have mash with the eel or else you'll be talking Cockney LA.😊 Your blog title sounds like one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m sure it’s very nice but I just can’t eat anything that looks like a snake
    If I didn’t see it whole I’d be better I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you didn't have to cook it you'd be ok.

      Delete
  11. I think I've only tried eel once and it was our traditional kiwi eel but I found the texture a bit odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to catch eels in our creek but I dont ever remember eating them. I'm sure this is far tastier.

      Delete
  12. I...oh...my...perhaps if no one told me I wouldn't be so prejudiced against it...but I know, so I'll just have the carrots and and celery and onions! Side note: I couldn't bring myself to try the silk worm larvae soup in Korea either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The less you know about what youre eating the better' is a rule which around here!

      Delete