Saturday 25 April 2020

Do the Hokey Pokey

Or in this case, 'make' the hokey pokey

Its ANZAC day downunder.  Remembrance day in Australia and New Zealand. 2020, No dawn services,  No gatherings  in Crete or in Athens at the Commonwealth War cemetaries.

We are remembering our homelands here with hokey pokey, New Zealand's unique toffee/honeycomb icecream and Anzac biscuits, supposedly sent overseas to Anzac soldiers during the world wars.

ANZAC Australian and New Zealand Army Corps



Hokey pokey 
Made from baking soda, sugar and golden syrup, or in this case, runny honey
Well done kids
This is added to vanilla icecream to produce a soft icecream with big sweet crunchy bits in it.  Heaven


My share is handed over the gate


They ate theirs with icecream
I just crunched it down 'straight'


Anzac biscuits

There are no eggs or milk used in the recipe and the rest of the ingredients  make for a long-life biscuit.  They would need to be unspoilable.  The sea journey to Europe probably took about three months and by the time they actually reached the soldiers it might have been a few more weeks.  The biscuits would have been a welcome change from hard tack and bully beef.



The poppies I crocheted for last years ANZAC remembrance day




17 comments:

  1. My hubby lived in Melbourne from the age of 14 to 28 and he loved Anzac biscuits. We used to be able to get them when we lived across in the UK before moving here but haven't seen them for ages. I must take a look and see if I can get hold of some.
    So many young men lost in those tragic times. We must always remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anzac biscuits are very easy to make too. 'easy' is my preference for most cooking. Actually they are similar to mcvities hobnobs.....if I remember rightly. Been a long time since I've had one of those

      Delete
  2. It's good that the soldiers are remembered every year and the Anzac biscuits sound good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father, 2 uncles and a few aunts were all in the military and they all have an interesting story

      Delete
  3. Another excuse to bake things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed on my calendar that is it ANZAC Day, and I thought of all you, who are not able to really Celebrate it, this year.

    Oh that looks marvelous! I think I'd have some with ice cream, and some "straight" please!!!!!

    😋 😋 😋 😋 😋 😋 😋 😋 😋 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm wish we had some ice-cream. Not easy to find this early in the season

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm, that looks amazing. I love crunchy bits of pretty much anything added to homemade ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very different Anzac Day here
    People all went to the end of their driveways to commemorate and listen to the dawn service
    And there was no Anzac Day football
    But remember them we did.
    Lest we forget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had messages coming in from early morning telling me about my brother's services. They were all on the roadside, in NZ and Australia.
      It was a terrific way to remember

      Delete
  7. Love your crocheted poppies and the hokey pokey looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hokey pokey is not quite the same, no golden syrup but darn good anyway

      Delete
  8. Have you thought of crocheting family portraits? You could start with your husband, as he has a very distinguished face. This could be your 'Lockdown souvenirs'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big furry teddy bear would represent him well.

      Delete
  9. I tried making hokey pokey once - it was an absolute disaster! LOL Yours looks great, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm hokey pokey, my daughter can make it but I cant, such a kiwi icon aye

    ReplyDelete