Monday 27 April 2020

Lunch in the Sun


A grilled fish on the balcony day 



Grilled fish on the balcony under the shade of the now leafing grapevine
K grilled more than we could eat at one meal so we can have it as an accompaniment with spinach tomorrow and more salad the next day.

The fish is gutted but neither scaled nor filleted.  This way it doesn't stick to the grill and naturally traditional people insist that there is more flavour in the fish if it is left in its original state.  That means that hands must be used when eating and it gets messy and I always end up with oil spots somewhere on my shirt. 
The fish are easy to clean on the plate, just messy.  The side bones come away, the scales and skin slide off and the backbone is removed in one swoop.  We end up with a big bowl of heads, tails, scales and skin for the cats.

The fish is then dressed with 'salamoura',  oil and lemon juice, a little mustard and oregano.  The dressing is shaken up in a little jar which you will notice sitting on the table at the top of the photo.

We ate the fish with the dressing, a greek potato salad and a lettuce and rocket salad, all dressed with more lemon juice and olive oil. 

Red wine for me, white for the traditional boy. Red wine goes well with white fish, especially a rough, dry local wine which has not travelled more than half a kilometre.

The grapevine is sprouting all over the place which I am happy to see.  Vaso's son pruned it this year and so severely I wondered if it would produce any grape leaves at all.  I have trimmed all the ends of the grape vines which are galloping away and swaying over next doors road.  Now I must collect a bowl of young grape leaves to make stuffed vine leaves.  This before K comes along to spray some sort of blue dust all over it to stop the rot.




21 comments:

  1. That looks very good, although I would have to get my manservant to clean my fish for me πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for everyone !! Can you trust your manservant to do it properly and get rid of all the bones??

      Delete
  2. Have you ever made your own wine Linda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years my husband made his own wine. We used to have 2 300 litre barrels, one with red and one with white. About 8 years ago he just got tired of all the work it took and now he buys from our neighbours.

      Delete
  3. Eating on the balcony! Finding the little joys, that are _big_ at these times! And paying attention to them! Yesssss....

    And I can see, that the old folks are probably right... That fish have more flavor, with all the so-called-extra-stuff, left in/on them.

    And messy eating is good eating!!!!!!

    Instead of masks, you could be sewing up some big bibs!!!!!!! -smile- For you, not for him! Eeeeekkkkkk! I can just imagine his reaction, to a bib, for him!!!!!!!!! LOLLLLLLLL

    He'd probably protest, a bib, on YOU!!!! -grin-

    πŸŒΈπŸ’›πŸŒ·πŸ’›πŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I keep my apron on and I always go and wash my hands before I start eating. Can't stand greasy sticky hands

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much simplicity and beauty in your meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days it is simple. Thank goodness not so much meat now the days are getting warmer

      Delete
  6. Messy food is the best.
    I’m now craving grilled fish lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fish fillets but I'm not going to find them around here.
      It's all very informal thank goodness as you know and I can get up and wash hands when I need to

      Delete
  7. Your meal sounds like a wonderful way to welcome summer to your area. Eating outdoors adds something special to food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the right temperature now and for another month. Then we have to eat indoors during the day. A month to enjoy!

      Delete
  8. At this season we start to buy fresh Sardines which, of course, we eat with our fingers. What else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sardines haven't appeared here yet. Yes, the only way to eat those are with the hands.

      Delete
  9. I have never heard of cooking fish without scaling and filleting it first! And having a fanatical fisherman as a father means we ate A LOT OF FISH. I actually can't stand fish now! Your meal looks and sounds wonderful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a good kiwi fisherman would always fillet his fish before handing it over to his wife. As it should be....but isn't here

      Delete
  10. Looks good to me, I can't wait to get out fishing again.

    ReplyDelete