Monday 20 April 2020

Sunday

When we are finally let out of quarantine someone had better give us a medal.  Our family, three families, were amongst the few who stayed at home on Sunday.  I know it is the biggest celebration of the year but supposedly we are in lockdown.  Few others around here stayed at their own home despite the 300euro fine for being out and about.  We heard very loud music coming from across the valley and somewhere over the hills until the wee hours.  Even our elderly neighbour had a small gathering though they were her daughter's friends, not hers.  News of the islands parties are slowly filtering in via facebook and the telephone.  

Our two daughters and 5 grandchildren all live on the island, minutes away by car.  Each family had their easter feast in their own home.  This is the first time in 45 odd years that I haven't taken a photo of our lamb turning on a spit.  





My very traditional greek husband makes this years sign of the cross three times over our doorway with the Holy flame.
At midnight in our neck of the woods all the houses around us, across the valley, were brightly lit up, as was ours.  Someone had gone to the little church down the hill and rang the bell for almost 10 minutes and the sound of firecrackers could just be heard from  the beach below.


In our old neighbourhood our daughter and family went out into the street at midnight to wish everyone 'Christ is Risen'.



Next morning there was no lamb on the spit but we did have a traditional skewer of kokoretsi, all the insides of the lamb wound up with the metres of carefully cleaned intestines


There was lamb on the menu but it went into the oven with a pile of potatoes.  As usually is the way in our house there was far too much food for two.  The cats and ourselves will be eating leftovers for days to come.


In amongst those pieces of lamb was half a sheep's head with one eye and the teeth from the right side only, the tongue but no brains




Down on the roof of our old house our daughter and family also had a skewer of kokoretsi and a mixed grill


Meanwhile round the bay the other third of our family also had a mixed grill out on the balcony

We shared videos and photographs all day long with our girls and friends who usually eat with us on Easter Sunday.  Through social networking we weren't completely alone which made us feel a little more part of an easter crowd but also rather sad.

There was dancing and lots of laughter, but only through cyber space

K is vowing to put a lamb on the spit on that big BBQ as soon as the restrictions are lifted.  I'd be quite happy if they all just came around for coffee


Waiting for tidbits






25 comments:

  1. Super photos. Wish we had that oven and spit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A photo tells more of the story than I can. K loves his BBQ. man's toy

      Delete
  2. Oh, but sheep's head?? With eye and tongue???
    It will be great when you and your family can all get together again. Stay safe, all of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us, not me naturally , love to suck on the teeth and savour the brain. The eyes usually only get eaten for a bet.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Up until a few years ago, I used to spend a lot of time on Rock Island, near Crookhaven. I love that area, and the people.

      Delete
  4. I had to look at the photographs with my eyes shut...! The cat looks like a miniature lioness.
    You most definitely get a gold star for sticking to the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cat is wild but hes a favourite of mine. A big tom with a torn ear. He never complains, never grizzles, just sits and waits his turn.

      Delete
  5. You have a little lion on the roof of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of him, a hardened male but he has an upturned mouth, a real character

      Delete
  6. That sounds like you all did your best to have a great day "with" your girls even if it was all via technology. I can imagine doing this with my mum once upon a time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day. Much better than we all expected. And we did have some fun and laughs. And K danced a little, that is always a good sign

      Delete
  7. Yup. It’s the ones that won’t comply that will cause the lockdown to continue longer
    My dad has said the same thing. Once this is over we are having lamb on the spit
    I could do without all the eating. I’m doing enough now unfortunately lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of eating a whole lamb is just too much now. I just want to keep it simple amd be happy with the family

      Delete
  8. I love leftover roast lamb. When I first went to live in Kaitaia I worked for the 90 Mile Beach Tours which was part of a garage. At morning tea the men used to eat fish heads and were always trying to get me to eat the eyes. No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish eyes are not nice and I am sure sheep eyes are ten times worse. I have seen people do it but it is not not normal!!

      Delete
  9. -sigh- Those who did not obey the Present Rules....

    And Vaso's daughter, invited friends in, to Vaso's home? -shakes head-

    Gentle hugs
    🌸🌱💛🌱🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Vaso children are all educated, supposedly smart. They certainly dont seem smart right now.

      Delete
  10. Nice your could celebrate, even if only you two. A sheep's head! I'm frowning! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my favourite but all my kiwi family love things like that!! Two of my brothers married girls brought up on farms...and nasty bits of the beast lol

      Delete
  11. I cook Lamb in the same way, with potatoes (and garlic and lemon), and I usually eat the leftovers for breakfast the following day. The poor cat does look a bit ragged, but I've always liked cats that just turn up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cat is king of the roost. He has scars to prove it.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you still managed to get some enjoyment out of the day, regardless of restrictions. I think we are all starting to miss close contact with our loved ones. Cyber hugs are not quite the same. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do see our children frequently because they bring up groceries and other necessities but just over the gardeb gate. It will be great when they can walk thru the gate into the house

      Delete
  13. Hopefully, all this chaos will be over and we can get back to 'normal'! I love the idea of going out at midnight to declare 'He is risen!'
    And, I hope the patient kitty got a tidbit or two :)


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete