Wednesday 3 July 2019

Growers Market


Al fresco shopping


We buy most our fruit and vegetables here on Friday and Monday



Apricots
These ones were 1.50 a kilo, ripe and full of flavour.
But we bought our apricots from K's cousin, naturally, and they were hard and green
Fortunately green apricots ripen quickly 




The best laid out stall with the most enticing fruit and vegetables is run by some Pakistanis
Loads of Pakistanis and Indians work in the market gardens opposite 

K's cousin has a very small stall and we buy what we can from him to help the family.    He lives from his small market garden, and collects greens from the fields, especially dandelions which our household love, except me.  Last week while I was filling our bag with cucumber, greens and green beans, K snuck off to buy him a can of cold beer, keeping it hidden from  sight.  K's cousin was thirsty at 10 oclock in the morning.  He always fills up our bag with more oranges, greens or cucumbers than we need or want so a can of beer is a small thank you.   

16 comments:

  1. Support your own!!!!

    I so agree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do but he's more of a beer drinker than a vegetable seller! He never has much of a selection so we go to him first. K feels obliged to buy from him, hence the green apricots but I go elesewhere!

      Delete
  2. Family comes first, but you could always sneak over to the other stalls as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do buy from others!! K's sister, also his first cousin just avoids him.

      Delete
  3. Love markets. But here the prices are just as expensive as in the stores. So I just grab what I need while I’m out and about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices aren't all that low here either, just a better selection.

      Delete
  4. I know that in small places family closeness is above all, so it is here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a first cousin so very close and not one with brains! His wife is a very hard worker and I think she runs the family.....which is why he drinks beer on secret !

      Delete
  5. I must say I would be very tempted by the fully ripe apricots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full of flavour but they do go off very quickly. I make jam and chutney

      Delete
  6. love this little peek into your markets x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very small market but all the seasonal fruit and vegetables we need

      Delete
  7. That looks about the same size as our nearby Saturday market. All the essentials; fruit, veg, wine, occasionally fish, and a very good baker in the village. My wife made Apricot jam a couple of days ago, I think she paid €2.30 a kilo. We need to move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2.30 is outrageous! Or it would be here. I've seen them for 1.30, full of flavour. Our market has too honey sellers as well. Thyme mostly and very hood

      Delete
  8. Most of our farmer's markets are huge ~ but there are smaller ones here & there. I love to drive up to Santa Fe and go to their largest one ~ they have everything (but go early or all the good tomatoes will be gone). Then off to lunch before the drive home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish ours was larger. We sometimes go to the ones in a big town near us. They have everything, clothes, plants, fresh fish. It's a day out for us too

      Delete