Tuesday 2 July 2019

Briam

Summer's bounty.  Zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, fresh tomatoes with lots of fresh herbs.



Called Briam or Briami in Greece a version of this dish is made in most of the mediterranean countries.  Known as ratatouille in France, caponata in Italy, all different depending on the country and the region.

Greece has another version too called tourlou which is often cooked in a pot instead of the oven and has green peppers in it as well, which my m-in-law would never have added.

My briam is cooked in the oven and I sprinkle feta over the top when I put it in to bake.  This gives it a slightly creamy texture.

Chop
Potatoes
zucchini
eggplant
into thin slices or cubes, quite small so they cook easily.  Add chopped onion and garlic.  

I put chopped, fresh parsley, basil and  mint in the baking dish and either 2 or 3 grated tomatoes or chopped tomatoes plus a big glass of water and a small wine glass of olive oil.  Salt and pepper

Cover the top with crumbled feta, poking it in a bit so it melts into the stew.

Cook about an hour in a hot oven then take it out, toss it about, add more water and cook at least another half hour.  The vegetables need to be soft and slightly blackened on top.  Add a little more water at the end or you will find it dries out 

Serve at room temperature, with feta and bread and maybe a glass of very cold wine

Kali Orexi
Bon appetit







10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, as any/all baked dishes do! But the sound of a hot oven having to be turned on, in summer, kind of turns me off. A wimp I know. ,-)

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a drawback but you gotta eat something and some people around here insist salads are not food! Well not on their own

      Delete
  2. We do it here the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would have something similar

      Delete
  3. I cook mine in a pot but I’ve never added the feta. I might have to give it a go. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be better in a pot, a thicker sauce. With this the sauce seems to disappear when its cold. In the pot you can add more water when heating it

      Delete
  4. That sounds great - pity the season is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got your own fresh produce and I bet just as tasty dishes, and healthy!

      Delete