Tuesday 3 May 2022

Fish on a Tile

 A tuna sort of fish baked in the oven on a roof tile.


The head is cut off and it's given a good wash to get rid of all the blood.  And it's gutted of course.  Then onto that roof tile, a few slices of lemon, and that's fresh oregano.  Into the oven for 40 minutes and it's ready ....almost

Once it's cooked and cooled a little.  I have to take out the backbone and remove the tail.  I break up what's left and put it into a deep dish.  Then I make an oil and lemon sauce with a little salt, mustard and dried oregano.  This is poured over the fish and we are ready to go.  It's eaten preferably with a green leafy salad or some sort of boiled greens.

The only part I don't like is the darker meat .  It is very strong and fishy.  Fortunately there's not too much of that and I can separate it from the rest of the flesh. K enjoys the stronger taste.

Gordon Ramsey once got served steak on a roof tile on his show Kitchen Nightmares.  

Photo thanks to BuzzFeed.com 

He was a  bit confused by it all and as you can see the restaurant owner received  the classic 'f' reaction.  But apparently the steak was the toughest, chewiest filet mignon he had ever tried . 

Not exactly fine dining and a waste of good steak.  But fish on a tile, well, that's another story and it does not get served on the tile!   

12 comments:

  1. I’ve never cooked anything on a tile
    Probably because I don’t have any terracotta tiles lol
    But it does sound yummy. I guess I’ll just have to keep using my cooking trays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a different way of cooking a fish (I don't think I will be trying it!), but I love the sound of the sauce you put with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple but definitely a rustic style of cooking

      Delete
  3. Looks great and might be just the thing to try in our outdoor oven when we go back to our garden home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you need is the tile. We have two ovens, one outside. Definitely an outside sort of dish

      Delete
  4. A novel way of cooking. I love lemons and limes added to a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of lemons here but no likes. I've never tried limes

      Delete
  5. Sounds good, but not sure I would be able to use a tile that way. Wouldn't fit in my oven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Golfers cousins do ‘fish on a plank’. Salmon on a wooden plank in front of an outdoor fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that sounds interesting. We don't have salmon but could use another fish. I'll investigate that

      Delete