Monday 21 March 2022

NZ Food

 Two more of the dishes I took down to isolating family. Other daughter did their shopping. I might add that they were more or less symptom free and mainly cooked their own meals. 


NZ fish pie.  Photo from Edmunds cookery site
Edmunds wrote and still publish a cookery book with NZ's classic recipes.  I'm sure Edmunds won't mind me showing their wonderful fish pie photo


A NZ  treasure
Kiwi icon
First published in 1908
'Focuses on traditional NZ cuisine'
A 'must have' when you're a kiwi ex-pat


I made a NZ potato topped fish pie for the infected family.  A proper kiwi fish pie calls for smoked fish. The smokiness really gives it that extra flavour. There's no smoked fish around here,  although I did once bring back a smoker in my suitcase . It has been used with great success, on occasion.

I didn't taste-test this pie. I should have, damn it. I usually remove (like the taxman 😅) a corner, or two .  Now it's still squirrelling away inside my brain. I'll have to make another one very soon to satisfy my cravings.





Apple crumble.
My photo
Recipe from 'Stuff', NZ news site

We were given lots of kilos of apples so I've started stewing them and using them in cakes and pies.

Elli loves crumble so I made one for her yesterday. I don't cook crumbles often enough to be sure of the recipe so I googled 'NZ crumble' recipes.

The one I started to make was from Donna Hay, an Australian  food stylist and TV chef. That's the way Wikipedia describes her. I was not impressed. Half way through I'd made a bloody mess, there was far too much butter and I reduced  the sugar by one third. After scraping all the greasy crumble off my hands I googled again and discovered the recipe from 'Stuff'.  Not much I could do by then except do the best I could with what I had.

The end result was fine but next time I'll use the other recipe. 

I did taste-test this one.  The taxman took just enough to satisfy the taste buds.



23 comments:

  1. I've never made an Eton Mess. But I have often made a bloody mess. I also use every knife, fork, spoon and dish when I do any cooking. Or so I am told.😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess
      If you made a mess
      In my kitchen
      I'd be bitchin
      And you'd clean the space
      And put it all away
      Spoon, dish, fork and knife
      If you wanted peace n life

      Delete
    2. Excellent. The Poros poet.

      Delete
  2. I am very partial to a fish pie and used to buy a handy fish pie mix from our local supermarket but these are no longer produced by our local fish market for some reason. The fishmonger in town does offer a fish pie mix but at £8 per pack it is a little too expensive for us OAPs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can make it with a tin of tuna, or salmon but those don't appeal.
      I used leftover fish from a family grill. Helps to have fishermen in the family.

      Delete
  3. The fish pie looks so delicious to me. There are no fresh fish here and apart from me no one likes fish. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to make a very small pie with a tin of fish. One day

      Delete
  4. I can see the smoked fish adding flavor for sure! When we get fish, it’s always frozen. I’ve found salmon is the best flavor of the frozen variety. Every now and then we get frozen fish sticks, which always takes me back to elementary school lunches on Friday. Apples I love, I prefer pie over crumble, but I have made both. Mmmmm, apples. Wanna bite of that crumble :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen fish is fine. Even I cook frozen sometimes. It's good for soup for a start. I like fish fingers especially with a bit of ketchup. I have to hide them and eat them in secret.

      Delete
  5. You almost make me feel homesick LOL. Smoked fish pie and apple crumble are both frequent dishes on our daily menu :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'll make both for myself, or to enjoy with my daughter. Don't think K will like the fish pie

      Delete
    2. Enjoy with your daughter please 🙂🙂🙂

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm planning on making a second lot very soon!

      Delete
  7. Edmonds cookbook - every son in every generation of our family got one as a departing home gift. Have you ever made drumble with rolled oats (and coconut, sugar and oil and cold water, and chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds)? Much easier and gets nicely crispy outside & soft chewy inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all those crumble topping ingredients and still have apples. Time for another one!

      Delete
  8. Yup I’m not a fan of Donna hey
    My family love apple crumble. And I’ll use any fruit in season to make it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some of her TV cooking shows. She isn't a TV chef that impressed me. Now I know why. It was the butter and sugar. Far too much of both

      Delete
  9. A bit of smoked Haddock in a Fish Pie is very good. Proper grub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just search the supermarket fridge. We do get smoked mackerel. K loves it with lentils or bean dishes. There might be something packed in plastic. Even a little would make a taste difference

      Delete
  10. That cookbook is such a classic, I use to have one but not sure what I did with it, probably went missing in one of the many moves we had over the years but fish pie is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although most of the recipes you can find online now I still use mine, with notes in the margins. My girls have one too. Essential for good kiwis

      Delete
  11. I made a fish pie the other day, first time in years! I used tinned smoked fish which works well. I love apple crumble too... yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete