Saturday 19 March 2022

March

 


These bracelets made from twisted red and white thread are supposed to protect you from the treachorous March sun.  Haven't seen any of that so far.  I wouldn't mind a bit of sunshine on my winter skin.

My grandkids used to make these at school on the first of March but they've grown too old for that .  This fancy bracelet however was given to me by a granddaughter and I shall wear it faithfully just in case the sun does come out.  Wouldn't want to get sunburnt..... oh how I'm laughing.

It was so cold this morning we lit the fire as soon as we got up.  There's another snow storm on the horizon.  It's mid March for goodness sake,  Mrs Suzi (surname) our weather lady tells us that it once snowed on the 25th March, down where we are.  Humphh




Giant beans stewed in tomatoes with  some carrot, leeks and lots of garlic and olive oil.  I wanted to put some sausage in it but we are sending some down to the family and they may be not eating meat for Lent.  



Another dish I sent down to the family recovering from the virus.  Stuffed tomatoes.  If I was a good Greek Mama I would be running down every day with pots and pans of home-cooked food.  But I'm not a greek Mama.  





Laugh for March.
Potato vodka?
All those Russian brands have been taken off the shelves, they say. I bet our local grocer has plenty, but not the potato kind




19 comments:

  1. From a humble potato to a bottle of fine vodka. Do they distill their own vodka in Poros? Here in Ireland there is legally distilled Poteen and the other is called "the white lemonade".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White lemonade, good one!! Here they distill raki....made from leftovers of the wine press. They've made that illegal here, unless you have a licence. No-one takes any notice of that!!

      Delete
  2. I made bracelets like that in Moldova when I visited a weaving place. I can't remember what she said it symbolised, maybe friendship. I still have mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make them in Bulgaria too. Probably all the Balkans. They're for friendship, good luck, probably fertility. A nice reminder of the holiday

      Delete
  3. We have had plenty of sunshine here today but a very strong, freezing wind so not so great.
    I do like that bracelet, it is so pretty.
    I remember my dad making some pretty strong spirit from potatoes, way back in the late 60s or early 70s. He had some contraption with glass or plastic tubes and distilled it into bottles to drink at Christmas. He gave some to our milkman and nearly blew his head off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother made wine and she always said you could make it out of anything, even potatoes. Fortunately she usually made some sort of fruit wine and it D don't blow anyone's head off.
    Did your father drink his own concoctions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly did.. rather too much of it though.

      Delete
  5. At home it used to be called 'Hokonui'. The bush clad hills around there were full of illegal stills in the prohibiton years. Apparently the excise men used to track them down by finding out who was buying a lot of sugar. These days they make a legal version with manuka honey. They probably market it as expensive medicine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hokonui in the good old half gallon? Reminds me of my good old days though the hokonui would probably blow those jars to the stratosphere

      Delete
  6. Maybe you will get warmer weather once that storm has passed. The seasons are noticeably starting to change here now.
    I'm glad your family are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your heatwaves are over, for this year. Our snow storms have got to change. So unusual

      Delete
  7. At least you are headed towards summer. As above, getting colder here with a weather warning for rain and thunder today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time of the year but without the thunder and lightning

      Delete
  8. When my kids are sick I take care packages to them
    The Greek mama wants to do it everyday but I shut her up real quick. This is australia for goodness sake’s lol
    I can’t wait for the cold weather so I can have fasolatha and yemista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh. If they really need care packages they get it. It's making not those older Mamas that still fuss, especially if it's a son

      Delete
  9. We once had snow on Ester day in France. I love those beans; I buy them in big jars from my supermarket in France. I think they call them 'Gigantes'. Perfect with real sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're called gigantes or elephants here. And a good sausage makes all the difference in taste

      Delete
  10. Garlic roasted tomatoes were offered at fellowship hour after church today, but I was behind the woman who took the last one…..I’m glad she couldn’t see me face, I’m sure it was funny…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garlic toast tomatoes. I'll Google them!!
      Good luck next time!

      Delete