Monday 28 March 2022

Lettuce Salad

A classic Greek winter salad


This is the recipe for a greek lettuce salad as made in our house.  A traditional lettuce salad. A true blue greek recipe handed down from greek M
ama to son*.  This is a lettuce salad, no cabbage, tomatoes or strange things like pomegranate seeds

*Mama wouldn't mind her son making this salad.  My father-in-law always cut the lettuce for the salad in the family house.  He had a very sharp knife and cut it very, very finely.  K has been known to get it almost as finely cut but I don't bother.  Though lettuce is certainly not just torn into pieces the way they do it in the west.



This is my one rocket (roka) plant.  It grows up and up and I cut the leaves from the lower branches for the salad.  The rocket (arugula) is very tasty, spicy in fact.  Loads of flavour.  I'm not even sure where it came from.  It just appeared in a pot and grew

So the lettuce salad consists of :
- one cos lettuce (romaine) cut as finely as possible
- a big handful of rocket also cut finely
- as much of a spring onion (shallot?) as you need for taste, also cut finely
- a handfull of dill, finely chopped

- Toss together in a big bowl and sprinkle with salt,  olive oil and the juice of half a lemon

I prefer to use apple cider vinegar instead of the lemon juice.  It's a matter of taste.  K naturally prefers the lemon.  




The last of the cos lettuce in my garden



https://www.youtube.com/c/DimitrasDishes   The link probably doesn't work but if you want to look at any greek dishes this Greek American woman called Dimitra has a YouTube channel.  Her recipes are true greek and she speaks english (american). 

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nice fresh lettuce from the garden. Can't beat it

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of that salad Linda. A green salad I think it gets called over here. I use a shallot because I always have shallots hanging around in a bag in the garage but never have any spring onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought shallots were spring onions
      I'll have to Google the darn things

      Delete
    2. No, shallots are a small type of onion. Spring onions are green stalks with a white bulby looking thing on the end sold in small bunches in the salad section. At least that is what they are in Britain.

      Delete
  3. That cos lettuce looks very healthy and verdant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had lettuces everywhere for a while. We are down to the our last though they'll be in season till May.

      Delete
  4. We always had fine sliced lettuce salad at home (i suspect Dad and us kids favoured it because it held together more of the sweet/sour salad dressing which we would have put on znything....(definitely vinegar over lemon juice for us too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have good old kiwi dressing made with condensed milk .yummy stuff

      Delete
  5. I think even I may be able to make that one. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good. A bit of iceberg makes it nice and crisp

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of that salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are often called green onions or shallots- however…… just to confuse us….it appears there is a difference - https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-spring-onions-scallions-and-green-onions-word-of-mouth-217111

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your salad sounds almost the same as the one's we're now having at lunch; although ours are not cut finely. Sadly, our ingredients (of course) all come from the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it cut fine but I don't bother doing it so fine when I'm doing the chopping. It takes patience

      Delete
  9. A nice simple dinner
    I like lemon but I think apple cider vinegar is just as good
    We are anxiously waiting for the new fresh fish shop to open, it’s being built in the new area of the shopping centre. I desperately want to buy fish. Not fillets so you don’t know what the fish is or how fresh it is. I like to see the whole fish and especially the eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's eyes that count. Mind you the smell gives away a lot 😅

      Delete
  10. I was already to make this salad....have all the stuff in my garden needed....except the dill....bother. Seems like dill was growing wild in Greece if I remember rightly. Actually did not know another name for Romaine is Cos. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a type of dill, called Marathi, that grows wild. When we lived in Crete it was everywhere. It's a much stronger taste.
      Makes a nice addition of taste to the salad. Dill, that is. Don't really like the other.

      Delete