Wednesday 22 December 2021

Traditions

Some of the traditions our Greek family have have carried on over the years at Christmas 


1.  Caroling.  On Christmas Eve in the morning bands of children will bang on your door and ask 'can we sing to you'.  To which you always answer yes unless you're a nasty grinch.  The children enter and sing the carol, the one carol, that is sung on Xmas Eve.  To which you answer with a 'and here's to next year' and a coin or two.  If they're godchildren, next door neighbours or your own cherub then it will be far more than just a few coins.


My traditional person always looks eagerly for these kids because he says it brings good luck to the house in the coming year.  In our present house up in the hills there are no neighbourhood children and we have to bribe a now teenage grandchild to come and bring us good luck.


2. Decorating a ship instead of a tree.  Most households now put up the western tree but it is far more greek to decorate a small boat or kaikï (fishing boat).  Downtown the Mayor usually does both but I haven't noticed either this year.  Maybe there is something covered in lights which only show up at night.  The harbour wasn't at all festive when I went down to the chemist this morning.



Our boat lit up on the wall


3. Christopsomo.  The Christ bread which is cut on Christmas day.  This is a large loaf of, often, homemade bread with a braid of dough  on top forming a cross and a walnut in the middle.  Ours is cut before the family Christmas day lunch. The traditional head of our household draws the sign of the cross over the bread with the big knife and then cuts big slices and hands them round the table.  At New Years the bread will have a lucky coin in it.


4.  Presents should be opened on New Years Day and not on Christmas day.  Here it is Saint Basil, whose feast is on January 1st, who brings the gifts and not Saint Nick.  My kids, being cross cultural thought they should have presents from both.  Mother (ie me) decided that St Nick was the bringer of toys and that was that.


6. You must bake piles and piles of Christmas cookies, so says my traditional person who has taken over the baking.  After 40 years of a foreigner baking his biscuits he has decided that only he can make them the way his mother did.  Go for it says me.

The cookies (biscuits) are melomakarouna, made with honey and oil, orange juice and walnuts and kourabiethes made with lots of preferably (but not preferably for me) sheeps butter and almonds.



We make piles of them every year so anyone entering the house can be offered one or two on a plate with a glass of raki or whisky.  Then we give packets of them away to friends and neighbours and also to anyone who has had a loss in the family.  During the first year of mourning you are not supposed to make, or offer, sweet biscuits and you are not allowed to dye red eggs at easter.


So, folks that's some of the traditions which we carry on here.  Of course in the cities things have changed and traditions are not followed to the letter.  The younger generation looks on it all a bit differently too and they are more likely to follow the western traditions.  But, in our house we follow the greek rules.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely traditions. Good that your traditional person has taken over the baking. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo Susan. I hope you and Doug enjoy your Xmas celebrations. I love it that someone else does the traditional baking. I'm quite happy doing a few mince pies and a cake

      Delete
  2. In our families we have not always kept the old traditions and I always regret it, tradition is a beautiful and important thing to me. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your greetings Yael. There are lots of traditions here and they are lovely to follow. If you can remember them all

      Delete
  3. Wonderful traditions, a bit like shortbread for us I guess. Good to hear the traditional one has taken over the baking, give you a rest.
    Merry Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those almond biscuits are a bit like shortbread. I'd love some of the real stuff

      Delete
    2. Want to send me your mail address and I will send you a few.

      Delete
  4. Mince Pies here; of which there are never enough. I have a feeling that carol singers are a thing of the past, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children love the singing. They can gather quite a bit of money. My grandkids always got enough to buy something theyd had their eye on

      Delete
  5. melomakarouna Are my absolutely favourite
    I didn’t know it was traditional to decorate a boat for Christmas. I think I’ll do it next year
    I’ll have a whole year to find a boat for the purpose
    We don’t have carol singers. It’s just too hot to be walking around singing and as I live in an area where we all have acreage it’s a longer walk between houses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather not have the melomakarona in the house. We always eat far too many

      Delete
  6. I loved reading about those traditions. It makes sense that you should decorate a boat. Nobody goes caroling anymore, but I remember going with a group to a nursing home (care home for elderly) and singing for them when I was young.-Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear a group carol singing. Now it's just these children with their Greek carol

      Delete
  7. Great Christmas traditions LA. Merry Christmas to you and your family in Poros.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to learn about some new traditions and I never knew about saint basil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh so many traditions! I'm glad St Nick won! MERRY CHRISTMAS CHICK... have a wonderful Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good when hubby does some of the cooking! Our Christmas here is much more relaxed with barely a tradition in sight. Just a lovely day to gather together with loved ones.
    Wishing you and your family a really happy Christmas (and lots of luck from the carol singers!).
    Luvnhugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful traditions, and memories. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Blessed New Year.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete