Saturday 18 December 2021

Christmasses Past

My first Christmas in Greece in 1976 was a non-event.  I remember walking down main street Piraeus, the big port city near Athens, on a cold Christmas eve along a dark undecorated street, the only sign of Xmas a decorated tree high up in the window of an apartment building.  I didn't really mind back then.  My mind was not on what Santa would bring but whose hand I was holding.

It made an impression on me for sure because I  remember the occasion vividly.  No carols, no christmas cake, no twinkling lights.  It was years before Piraeus decorated its streets and broadcast piped music for the shoppers.  When my children were very small I wanted them to delight in the magic of Christmas, the anticipation of opening those presents under the tree, leaving whisky and cakes for Santa, reading them 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' the evening before, hanging up the stockings and playing with new toys the next day.

Everything had to be done from scratch.  I made xmas crackers out of those cardboard loo roll tubes, very disappointing.  There was no bang but they did get to wear a homemade paper hat.  I  made ornaments for the tree and house from coloured paper I bought from school supply shops.  I don't remember where the tree came from.  

When the two girls were very young I used to take them into the public parks and visit the ancient ruins in Athens and I would visit the British Council Library.  It was the only way I could get english books to read.  The selection was of old dusty books by even older British travellers and writers.  It didn't matter.  It was in English.

The British Council organised every year a xmas bazaar which back then took place in the British Embassy itself.  I know I found xmas stockings there and I probably found a few xmas sweets and cards.  They had a Father Christmas too though I don't remember my kids sitting on his knee.   The two girls were a bit stand-offish after an early life of isolation with a foreign mother and a father who was in the Navy.  They had been known to swear, in greek, at nice old women who spoke to them in the street so I probably didn't dare suggest that they be sociable with Santa.

It wasn't till the mid 80s that xmas became a commercial event in the city.  Then big shops would open in the main market selling everything we now associate with the season, here and at home.  Piraeus streets were lit up by the lights that London had the previous year.  Maybe they still are.  

Every holiday we went to Poros for a few days.  Not my favourite way to spend a holiday.  Too many greek relatives very close by. We often compromised by staying home for the actual day so I could have traditional dinner with an elderly South African couple I had met. We went to the island for New Year.
Margo and Jimmy lived on a boat in the marina and were excellent with the girls. They helped keep me sane.

  Poros did not start decorating for another 10 years and Xmas was  traditionally Greek.  Small children came around singing the time honoured carol on Xmas Eve and were given a coin and a cake.

The housewives were busy baking melomakarouna (honey biscuits) and kourabiethes (walnut biscuits), dipless (sweet pastry) and we were offered these everytime we took a step into a local house.  There was no thought of saying 'no'.  They wished you the appropriate seasonal greetings and you answered back with the classic reply.  And you scoffed a sticky cake or two.  The men were also offered a glass of whisky and Metaxa brandy was also popular back then. 3* real rough stuff.
Women were offered a sweet liqueur, homemade. Now and again I was offered whisky. Foreign women were known to be a bit outrageous. A Greek woman wouldn't dream of drinking hard liqueur and often didn't even drink wine.

The children did get Christmas presents  but these were supposed to be opened on New Years Day.  They weren't.  They were ripped open there and then.  Horrors.  You couldn't make a child wait that long.  However, the presents were rarely toys.  They were always clothes and shoes, given by the godparents.  Grandparents usually gave the children money which was quickly taken away by the Mama to buy more clothes and shoes.

On Christmas day itself the family gathered to eat together, usually roast pork and potatoes or pork and greens in a lemon sauce. I don't remember turkey being on the menu at all though it was in later years often in the form of an egg and lemon soup. The main event of the day came later.  Christmas day is the fiesta of all those named Christos and Christina.  We had a few in the family and we trapsed from house to house to eat more pork, or lamb, drink  wine, dance a step or two, laugh at slapstick Greek jokes, me trying to be merry. Thank goodness I had small children and an excuse to leave early. The men drank on as was the tradition.

Our family Xmas dinner nowadays is half Greek and half English. And the men drink on . 

I miss carols by candlelight and the magic of warm decorated shops, piped music and a jolly old St Nick.

One year, about ten years ago, we went to Athens just before Christmas and visited a big shopping Mall. I almost cry at the memory. Christmas music wafting through the halls, hustle and bustle of Xmas shopping, decorations, baubles and an atmosphere so very, very different from that of a cold Greek island.

A few times we also went into Athens to the Xmas bazaar now organised by the Athens Church of England. Mince pies, real plum puddings, so many English voices, piles of cheap books, the white elephant stall,  chutneys, jams and cakes, Irish coffee, scones.  Tombola, raffles , a choir singing carols and the Vicar in a kilt.  There was a bazaar held this year but we couldn't go. Maybe next year.






24 comments:

  1. Bittersweet memories. I guess you just take it for granted that Christmas will be celebrated somehow in other lands. You've made it your own own now, with a combination of the two. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we have a few NZ traditions. The kids enjoy it all

      Delete
  2. It is difficult when the holidays are so different from the joyous ones from our childhood! I certainly felt that while reading this. But you’ve persevered, and created your own Christmas memories and celebration! I imagine your Greek has come a long way since those first few years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a lot of both traditions. It's still a big family celebration but as the grandkids grow up I guess it will change a little more. They're all coming this year. Maybe the last

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first moved to France in 1972 there were no Christmas celebrations. They celebrated New Year, May Day, and All Hallows, so finding a Turkey for the 25th was impossible; we ate Goose instead. These days the supermarkets decide what they celebrate; money dictates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter is the big celebration here, then 15 th August. New Years is bigger than Xmas. Or it used to be. I remember when we changed over to 2000. I served a champagne breakfast, to revelling teenagers.

      Delete
  5. You have a point (or several) but Greeks make up for it at Easter. As for turkey everyone else is welcome to it. Give us roast pork or ham any day. At least their traditions do involve lots of people being in touch with other people....a bit like Hogmany. The recent fashion for putting up lights does add cheer to the season tho doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could find a proper ham. Have you ever seen it in the city?
      We used to eat turkey but no one really liked it. Now it's a stuffed chook for the kiwi part of the feast with lots of sage stuffing and gravy.
      I love the lights, not that we go out much after dark anymore. We used to put lights along the fence but it's too much hassle now. I'd love a few days in the big city just now

      Delete
  6. I loved reading that Linda. I haven't got anything specific to say, I just loved it as a read. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lonely it must of been for you
    I know just how unbending Greeks can be. I’m so glad your finally getting a little of that Christmas feeling now
    Maybe you could find a carols by candlelight on YouTube or on live stream that you can watch and listen too while you finish getting your Christmas prep done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those first years were hard. Thank goodness I didn't live on the island then.
      Thank goodness for YouTube too!

      Delete
  8. What a nostalgic post. I am glad you now have a Kiwi/Greek Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls grew up with the kiwi traditions too and then carried them on with their children

      Delete
  9. Another lovely post from you! When and how did you meet your husband? I'd love to hear the story of that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day Lynda. It wasn't very exciting though

      Delete
  10. I agree with Rachel. You should write that book oh and that recipe one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would live to sit and write all day. Even rewrite and edit but life has its hassles

      Delete
  11. That was really interesting Linda. Nothing compared to your Christmases but when we first came to Canada in 1966 it took a bit of getting used to. My younger brothers and sister were confused about how Father Christmas (called Santa over here) would get in the house because we didn't have a fireplace or chimney. Nearly all houses had central heating. There were many presents under the tree and in England we never saw any presents until Christmas morning. Also there was only one Father Christmas where we lived in England. He was in a grotto in a big department store down town. Over here there was a Santa in every store. In case you were wondering, Santa got into the house with a magic key and he used magic to put presents inside all those empty presents under the tree, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear all these variations. In early years we didn't have a chimney either. We left a window open. But it was all done magically anyway.
      Reminds me too that our Santa (volunteer from the Lions Club) used to reside in a grotto.
      I must write about kiwi xmasses past one day

      Delete
  12. Some sweet memories in there. I didn't know you had lived in Greece that long, do you ever wish you could have a kiwi Christmas again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 45 years!! We had a family Xmas back in 1986. Absolutely marvellous and then once we did Xmas in July. Must have in the 90s. A family get together in NZ would be nice at any time of the year

      Delete
  13. Wonderful post to read, good to hear you are able to have Kiwi/Greek Christmas things happening. It is interesting reading the Greek traditions. I found some Griffins ginger biscuits recently in a shop, very exciting!! A bit sad isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete