Tuesday 31 August 2021

No WiFi

 Boohoo. It's been almost a week now. Life without internet. Almost.


K phones the phone company 2 - 3 times every day to either complain or find out what progress they might be making. Not much. It's not all Poros, just our sparsely inhabited part of the island. Maybe they're not too worried. I bet they would never leave the whole island without internet.


But they didn't reckon on my traditional Greek who loves sitting on the phone 'chatting' and will not stop until he gets action. He's notified all the neighbours too and make sure they are phoning for daily updates.


None of the operators really know what's going on even though they're here in Greece and not in India. But his constant prodding has given us free 10GB worth of data. 


Know how fast that disappears when you're listening to YouTube podcasts all night? Not very long.


We've been out for coffee a couple of times to use the cafe's WiFi . That's ok when I'm reading but not when I'm trying to type something on a tiny screen with big-people-fingers.


And it's the end of the month so online payments have to be made. What a hassle. 


We can live without Facebook, blogging, Viber, Whatsap or Instagram. But I don't want too!




20 comments:

  1. What a nuisance. The online bill payments problem would make me stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for having online payments if you can't get online. We did manage to make the two most important before the last day of the month. The rest can wait, especially the phone bill!
    One problem is that we have to do ibanking on my phone and mine is all in English. I'm used to the big desk computer, big screen, and Greek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipping heck. I get internet withdrawal symptoms if I can't blog or read blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The banking would be my problem. I only do it on my desktop. Hope you get it back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's where we do our banking too. And banks won't take payments now. It's a darn nuisance

      Delete
  5. Hopefully it is resolved soon for you .

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I wouldn’t want to either. It’s nice to be able to connect with people around the world.
    Hopefully it’s sorted soon
    Thank goodness you can go and get your social media fix at the cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to watch very carefully how I use my data. I cut out YouTube for a start. I check Viber and whatsap regularly. That's where I keep in touch with family

      Delete
  7. I think we've all become internet addicts. Ours occasionally disappears after a storm, and we feel lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often lose ours like that too but it is usually only for half a day. This is over a week now.
      K phoned our local technicians today. They're trying to replace some vital part. Hopefully today

      Delete
  8. In some ways it is quite scary how dependent we have been forced to become on something that is in essence so fragile - and how quickly the alternatives disappeared once the digital world replaced them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a quick change which is hard for me, another generation, to believe in. I back up everything with paper and wait for the bang.
      However we've also seen how quick turns to ashes.
      It's a whole new system. I hope it holds

      Delete
  9. Being away from home is a problem- especially here in a small town where things happen oh so slowly. I’ve gone to the library in desperation because I know I can get online there. I’m loving being away but wish I was home for reliability.
    Hope it’s all sorted soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I meant to say it was ‘lovely to see you again’. Thanks for commenting on the blog.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy. I don't know how I slipped off your blog list. I'm happy to be reading again and seeing you sitting by the sea in mid winter

      Delete
  10. I too can no longer imagine a life without all these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have come not only to rely on them but also to enjoy them.
      I remember how isolated I was when I came here in the 70s. Now I can instantly communicate with brothers and family. One reason I'm very happy to stay here. It has made the world small.
      That's the good side anyway

      Delete
  11. Considering we stream most of our tv, music and podcasts, it would be a real drag to lose internet for more than a day! I sure hope y'all get it back on soon. My Romeo would be going crazy.

    ReplyDelete