Thursday 26 August 2021

A Fishy Tale

 

Here's that fish taverna again.  The one across the waters, up the hill and round the corner, that became up-market, with coffee machines and a lounge bar.  Below was the  beach of very tightly packed bods.





View from our table.
  We could have sat further out and in the breeze, and shade, but those tables were only for 6.  We were 6 but we eat for eight and like to spread things around.  Usually the waiters will add or take-away tables to suit the client.  Not these.


At a fish taverna you eat fish.
Some of our party were frightened by the prices, and ate pork chops.
  
Lobster 95 euros a kilo
Local shrimps 70 euros a kilo.
No one is going to eat a kilo of these.  Not by themselves anyway. 

Fried squid 12 euros.  Frozen is half the price but they don't have frozen here.

Share the food , share the price .

A kilo of fresh cod was 45 euros.  Still pricey?  Half a kilo fed 2 men.  That's reasonable.  You look at the menu, you go inside and look at the fish and it's your choice.

Our nephew chose shrimp spaghetti.  
I think it worked out at 19 euros.   He had a delicious meal that he really enjoyed.  Worth every cent he said.


5 huge local red shrimp
This is all that was left


Those heads are the tastiest part of the shrimp.  They got passed down the table


We took the bones home for the cats who hissed their anger at such meagre tidbits.  

Shrimp in a tomatoey sauce over a huge plate of spaghetti.  The heads got special attention and the leftovers fed the pets.  Well worth the money.

The only thing you need to be careful about with this dish is not getting half of that sauce down your t-shirt.  He managed magnificently.

And he deserved it.  He's been sailing around the world, captaining a tanker  for the last 9 months.

10 comments:

  1. I would definitely have been wearing that sauce by the end of the meal 😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to eat it to get it all over me ,🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
  2. It looks yummy. I’m good at not getting sauce on me. I eat it very slowly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would do v well here. It's either oil or that darn sauce which ends up if not on my shirt then definitely K's

      Delete
  3. Here’s another sloppy eater - I’ve taken to tucking my napkin in my collar/ neckline so the front of my clothes is covered. I do draw the line at wearing a bib….even tho I might need one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I'm watching Hercule Poirot right now and he does exactly the same.

      Delete
  4. Dang we miss eating out. We're starting to wonder if a local taverna might consider putting a mini serving of half a dozen things on one plate just so we can experience a Greek taverna meal in all its variety without having to turn up with a crowd to order and help eat it all in full serving sizes. I guess it's so un-Greek to eat alone that no one would ever consider it. It all sounded so tasty.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. 9 months is a long time away from home. I wonder if he called in here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to have a family meal out after 9 months at sea. Seafood is expensive here, but your meals sound large.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to sit down in a taverna like that for a good meal :)
    (although I too would probably end up with half of that sauce down my front!!)
    It must have been nice to see your nephew after so long (and for him to catch up with family as well).
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete