Monday 12 July 2021

Tourlou

 Tourlou or a summer vegetable medley.  

Ratatouille, the dish not the rat.  I am sure every country, at least here in the mediterranean has a version of this dish.  Summer vegetables, all lightly cooked in a pan on the stove top.  Quick, fresh, light (depending on the amount of olive oil you add) and delicious.


We are going to eat ours with feta cheese and just a little bit of bread, fresh for me and stale for the traditional man about the house.  Stale bread is better for mopping up the juices and doesn't go soggy.


This is what I'm cooking at the moment.

Chunks of

zucchini/courgette

 potato/patata

 eggplant/aubergine

 green pepper/capsicum

onion and garlic and a leftover leek

go**amit I forgot the garlic

Sweat all the vegetables in olive oil, as much as you like.  I only used a big spoonful in the beginning along with a little water but I added an extra swig of oil at the end when I turned off the stove.

Then I peeled and diced

3 fresh tomatoes blanched briefly in boiling water for a quick peel

and chopped

parsley and mint from the garden.

Salt and pepper and a sprinkle of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.

Don't stir it too much or you'll get mushy Vege.


It's best cooked in a wide shallow pot.  I was across the waters at the small village of Galatas a few weeks ago to get my second jab and visited the maiden aunts.  They had just cooked this, in their wide pot called a tablas, and absolutely insisted I sit down and eat with them.  You don't get away with not eating in that house but every thing is so well cooked, done from scratch that it's a treat to share their meal.



After about half an hour of a slow simmer our own lunch was ready so I could go and get a hair cut.

And it's vegan too, but not plant-based-whole-food-oil-free.  The latter is my latest fad.  No meat, eggs, dairy, no processed foods and no olive oil.  Laughing Out Loud.  No olive oil?  From every window of my house the view is an olive tree or a lemon tree.  But it's healthy.  Lots of vegetables, fruit, grains and legumes.  It's basically what we eat anyway in the summer, forgetting about the pork and fish.


13 comments:

  1. I like Ratatouille, but mine is probably a bit simpler than yours; just Toms, Courgettes, Aubergines, and green Peppers. We like to eat it cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way, it's a tasty and healthy summer dish

      Delete
  2. Funny but we have just been making a version of that today (using up the less than fresh veg in the fridge). After lunch the rest will be blitzed to 'lumpy sauce' and frozen in batches for pizza topping or for pouring over quartered melitzania to be baked and topped with feta as another quick lunch/tea.
    I supervised as usual.
    How can you possibly eat Greek food without olive oil? Besides - it's good for creaky joints. (That's what F tells herself.) xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have blitzed our leftovers, just a small plate, but it's a great idea for further use.
      Olive oil is great for creaky doors too. Oils insides and outs they say here

      Delete
  3. It sounds very healthy and full of vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healthy but no meat. Some would say 'so where's the meal?'. No meat no eat

      Delete
  4. I refuse to use anything other than olive oil in my cooking, it's just a completely different taste and the food is so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to fry in sunflower oil but now it's all olive oil. As you say, the taste is so much better. And ours is local and pretty fresh. Latest harvest at least

      Delete
  5. Shoooo you can’t blaspheme like that. No olive oil!
    I love ratatouille and make it often I love it as a side dish to grilled meat but will often eat it on its own for lunch the next day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO olive oil.... K would shudder if he knew I was even thinking of it lol. Sometimes he looks at the dish, whatever it is, and asks me if I forgot the oil. I wouldn't dare with his food but he'll put on extra anyway

      Delete
  6. Hee hee my hubby would be the same, where is the meat???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all for light eating when it's hot, the appetite is just off due to the weather. I had a friend give me fresh dill, mint, basil and lovely tomatoes, I was popping those cherry tomatoes like candy yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think I'm going to try and make that here, we are going food shopping today so Ill see what I can get.

    ReplyDelete