Thursday 8 July 2021

Pastitsio Recipe

Reposted from July 2017



WEDNESDAY, 26 JULY 2017

Pastitcio -     For It's a Crazy World.  Hope I'm not too late with the recipe.    I had to scroll through my blog to find the recipe.  I didn't realise how many recipes I have posted on this blog.  More than enough to fill up a cookery book, Dave.

Pastitcio - macaroni casserole with minced meat and bechamel sauce





It is made from large tubular spaghetti, called macaroni here.  We buy our spaghetti according to the number. 

 No 6 is what we would normally use for spaghetti bolognaise,  or spaghetti served with a tomato sauce or burnt oil.  

No. 10 is very fine


No 2 is the fat hollow kind we use for pastitcio, a sort of pasta drinking straw.  I see this has 'ziti' written on the packet.  Is that the type of spaghetti?

Recipe

There are three parts to this recipe, plus the putting together and the baking.  It is easy but you end up with a lot of pot washing.

- First
Boil some thick macaroni.  A little goes a long way.  Don't use a half kilo packet unless you have an army of hungry teenagers to feed and a huge baking dish.  Grate a pile of cheese

- Second
Make a bolognaise sauce with -
minced beef (half a kilo)
one chopped onion
garlic
a tin of crushed tomatoes
olive oil
oregano
a stick of cinnamon
salt and pepper
half a teaspoon of grated nutmeg

- saute onions, garlic and meat.  Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about 40 minutes. It needs to have a little sauce so don't let it dry out too much

- Third
make a bechamel sauce, lots of it but not too thick.
That is a white sauce with a little cheese.
Melt 1/2 a cup of butter (I use half butter and half olive oil)
Take off the heat and stir in 2/3 cup of flour.
With a whisk add about 4 cups of milk, stirring all the time so you don't get lumps.  Put it back on the heat and keep stirring.  When it starts to thicken it is ready.  Stir in salt and I add a good dollop of mustard


Put it all together
Lay the spaghetti/macaroni at the bottom of a deep baking dish.  Don't overdo the pasta.  Leave plenty of room for the meat sauce and the white sauce on top.  Mix in lots of grated cheese. Leave a little to put on top

Cover the fat spaghetti with the bolognaise sauce

Top with the white/cheese/bechamel sauce (whatever you call it)

Sprinkle fine bread crumbs over the top and more grated cheese

Bake about half an hour till the top is brown and bubbly.  Wait for it to cool before cutting it into pieces or it will slop all over the plate.  Quite frankly I think 'sloppy'  is the best way to eat it but if you want it to 'look nice' on the plate then Wait.

Even tastier the next day

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Macaroni with cheesey sauce and bolgnaise sauce. Gotta be great

      Delete
  2. I make this quite often when we have family around. I think I mentioned before that we 'amusingly' call it 'Marconi Pie'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remeber its one of your family fillers. Good stomach filler-up

      Delete
  3. It’s my go to recipe when I don’t want to cook for a couple of days. I always make too much and we eat it for ever lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens here though I usually only make it when I know grandkids are coming or want a dose of Nanas cooking

      Delete
  4. Publish it and we can buy them for Christmas presents Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave. I must see if I can copy all the recipes. They're under 'grrek food' on the side bar so they're already gathered together and with photos.

      Delete
  5. Must copy this recipe - it's one of our favourites! Thank you for posting it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! As it turns out, I will have to make it for coffee hour another day, because the Sunday I'm providing the food is a fasting day. But I am saving your recipe for us! Yum yum Thank you!

    ReplyDelete